Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Neff microwave which is about 10 years old. Although

I have a Neff microwave which is about 10 years old. Although it still bursts into life when you press the start button, it cuts out after exactly 28 seconds, however the oven is set up. Can you tell me what the problem is and how I might be able to fix it?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ could you give me the full ENr so that I can look up the product please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

H5642N0GB/02

ok hold on a moment will have a look at the specs

OK when you say it cuts out do you mean that the whole thing cuts out no display lights etc or that it just fails to cook the food?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It simply stops. The timer reverts back to the clock mode and the display stays illuminated. It doesn't ping to tell you it has finished; it simply stops. It's difficult to say whether it's cooking or not after 22 seconds, (sorry I originally and erroneously said 28 seconds), so I can't say.

Any other questions?

OK is it purely a microwave or does it have a grill function too?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a microwave only.

How many more questions?

OK in that case you have either a control pcb problem (ie one of the relays is not working) a transformer that is faulty or the magnetron is failing. All three of these items are expensive so bearing in mind its age it is something to ponder. If you have a local microwave repair company they might do a board repair but not many of those around these days. I was hoping perhaps it had a grill and we could have been able to test out the control pcb but without it its almost impossible to test without specialist tools ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So it's goosed? And I"he just spent £27 that could have bought me a simple new appliance!!!

Sorry payments are not controlled by the Experts here in the UK nor have we anything to do with the rates charged this is also set by the parent company in America. Our task is to advise you what is wrong with your appliance and help you wherever safe and possible to carry out repairs. It would appear that in this case it is not viable to repair this appliance ~ the cheapest board for this item is more than £100. The call out from BSH would have been £95 plus the cost of parts. I am sorry that we were unable to help further ~ Ian