Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

my daughter has a new hotpoint FSFL58G fridge freezer. How

my daughter has a new hotpoint FSFL58G fridge freezer. How much space should she leave round it between the wall at the back and the units either side? Also the back is covered by a white plastic panel. Is this supposed to come off? Thanks. Anthea
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

The fridge needs 1-2" all the way around and about an inch off the back wall. Air comes in the back panel and pushes out the front .... so it needs plenty of room to draw in. It's acceptable to have no clearance on one side and 3" on the other ... or similar situation. You just don't want it fully boxed in .... it won't run correctly very long with no cool air coming in.

As for the plastic I would need a picture. I have never seen them come with something that needs to be removed .... the white plastic panel is likely meant to stay. However if someone placed a white plastic tape type item over the grille .... that would need to come off. If the plastic your referring to is just a piece of plastic with screws holding it on .... nope it stays.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. I'll tell her to leave it on. I haven't seen it either so it is hard to know quite what it looks like. If it isn't meant to stay on then I suppose the fridge would over heat and stop working? Thanks

I'm quite sure it's supposed to stay. I have never seen a manufacturer cover vent holes for that reason. They usually just cover the cosmetic parts. Just to prevent bad compressors early on.