George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Have just replaced the bearings in my WM62 hotpoint washing

Have just replaced the bearings in my WM62 hotpoint washing machine. As a result, I suspect that the bottom counter weight is fouling the outer drum during the spin and is generating a hammering noise. Could you outline the correct installation and nut tighening procedures for the bottom weight.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George.. Can you tell me what you mean by 'Procedure'? The weights are held by two long bolts to the bottom of the drum.. Normally, one wouldn't remove the weights whilst attempting a bearing change on the Hotpoint WM series.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

I attempted bearing removal with the outer drum in place but the old bearings were so tight I could not get them to budge. In the event I decided to remove the outer drum. To do this I had to remove the counter weights. Unfortunately I did not record the orientation of the bottom weight prior to removal. Consequently, I had to re-install the weight in the only way I could get it to fit, but it was fouling the pressure chamber on the bottom side of the drum,so I had to ease it off a bit. Also I am not sure if the W shaped necks of the retaining bolts are seated properly in the outer drum. This is really what I mean by the correct procedure. Also, should the bolt nuts be fully tightened, or should they be such that the weight is not touching the underside of the outer drum. I should have been more careful and taken proper notes during strip down, but we are where we are. Hope you can help.

Ok I understand.. Do you have the oblong flat counterweight with small dome recesses for the bolts, or the one with the large dome shaped cut-outs at the bottom?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

The weight is oblong in shape with two thro holes to accommodate the bolts. It has a cut out bevel in part of the front face running top to bottom. If I had to guess i think it would be the first of the options you mention.

Can you possibly photograph the counter weight and post the photo on here for me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George

It will take me some time to be in a position to post a photo. I will try and do it ASAP, hopefully tomorrow.

That is fine.. I'll be waiting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

Hope you got the images ok.

Bill

Hi Bill, according to the machines I have here, you have it on the right way. You should tighten the bolts till you acn not tighten any further without forcing them. The weight should tighten-up against the drum with very little gap.

Check the shockers have not been damaged.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks George, I will adjust bolts and test run tomorrow. I will let you know the outcome.

Bill

Ok Bill..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

When I attempted to tighten the bottom weight retaining bolts I discovered that they had slackened off. Investigation showed that the bolt necks were not properly seated in the outer drum housing. On closer examination I concluded that I had incorrectly aligned the bolts. ie I had assumed that the neck of the bolts would lie in the housing groove, but I now realise that the bolt necks have to straddle the groove. This is a bit of appalling design. Important components such as these should be designed in order to prevent mal installation. The upshot is that I have re-installed the bolts, tightened them iaw with your directions and have test run the machine. Glad to say all appears to be well.

Thanks for your help and i am glad that the machine is back in business. I intend to give a good credit rating

Thanks again

Bill

Thanks Bill