Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697
Appliance

I have a neff dishwasher that last night kept running -

Hi I have a neff... Show More
Hi I have a neff dishwasher that last night kept running - and water doesn't stop circulating when I open the door. Its 10 years old. I've removed the trays and the filters and even the little click-in filter next to the pump to check for blockage. When I removed the click-in filter next to the pump and ran it again the water to circulate and then to heat up - as if its trying now to complete a cycle. I've let this run to see what happens.
Any ideas?
John, Dublin
Show Less
replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the model number please. Its usuall ecthed into the door frame on the top left as you open it and starts E-nr.

Also as to the fault is it just washing all the time and not stopping at all?

Is it still full of water or has it drained the water out?

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Ref (faint) on the metal is S5444x1 GB/16

underneath this (small) is FD 6505 01233

Re washing all the time - last night it there was a constant jet of water coming from a circular hole on the side near the salt cap - hole about size of a pen which didn't stop which kept going even though door was open.

Today when I removed everything and inspected there was no blockages but I noticed that water began to build up once I took out the cover of the waste pump at the bottom of the machine. So I let it continue - now its still running and water is quite hot - like in a regular cycle

Daniel, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago.

Ok it sounds like its the drain pump thats running all the time. As if you have removed the cover over the pump and the water is building up then it will do as the cover has to be fitted for the water to drain out.

As the pump is running all the time try this and see what happens. Pull the dishwasher out and lie it on its back and see if any water comes out the base.

If it does stand it up right and retry it and see how it goes from there. But if still the same then remove the left hand side panel and there you will see a red plastic rod going down into the base. Lift this up and down and make sure its not stuck up activating the flood switch.

Check them and see what you find and let me know.

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Daniel, are you still there and dealing with my issue? I put back the cover but can't follow your second suggestion of putting dishwasher on its side - for one, its built in and integrated

Yes im still here.

As to the second suggestion if you cannot remove it yourself then you will need to get an engineer in then im afraid.

Have you tried to remove the dishwasher?

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Daniel, there's no way I can remove it - its fully integrated. Does that mean that you're done? And I'm charged the fee of 24 euro?

Im afraid there nothing more we can do on this untill you have removed. As to fix dishwashers they have to be pulled out.

But to be honest if its installed correctly then it should come out easy enough.

Remove the wooden plinth at the bottom of the kicthen.

Then open the door and look at the top and theres usually a screws either side holding the dishwasher to the under side of the worktop so remove them.

Then look at the front feet and lower them and then you will see a black nut in the center of the base at the front. Unscrew this and it will lower the back foot from there.

Then you should be able to pull it out from under the unit there.

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

ok daniel I'll give that a go and come back to you. you'll be still there?

Yes i will be online till about 8pm tonight so just let me know how it goes.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

the water seems to travel from a blue pipe into the plastic system, travel up a narrow lane and into a reservoir (almost square). There's a faint red thing in a curved passage at the top - above the flat square reservoir. but I don't think its moving or see anyway I can manipulate it. Here's a video

Ok this is a different set up from what i said above.

Did you lie it on its back to see if there was water in the base?

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Yes I did and no water came out.

Ok so when you reset the cycle and start it going what actually happens?

Does the pump run for a few seconds then stops?

Then does water start going into that chamber on the side?

Then do you hear the wash motor kick in to start spraying the water around?

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

I tried several times earlier today to reset the cycle by pressing 1st and 3 button together for 3 sec with switch on and closing door and waiting a minute. But there's no change. Done it again no - the same outcome, it just keeps pumping cold water.

The pump does not stop at all until I press the on/off switch.

Here's the process - I switch on, water comes up from blue pipe; swirls around in the resevoir at the top of the picture; drops to base (to one of the 3 valves near the blue one; flows up the 3rd valve, up the channel and down the channel on RHS of pic into the dishwasher through the hole beside the salt cap I told you about. If I plug that hole with my finger it will make its way up an alternative route and out through the centre circular outlet about half way up the inner wall of the the dishwasher.

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

the water doesn't go into the side chamber - not does the motor kick in to start spraying the water around.

When on the motor keeps pumping in the water - I do hear a solenoid switch click every second or so randomly

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Daniel, are you still there?

Yes im still here, Sorry laptop decided it wanted to shut down and update itself.

At any time do you get the check water light comming on the control panel?

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

No - none of the lights light up. In my panel there are 3 possibilities; one is salt, but not sure what the other 2 are.

From memory, I imagine that there would be a red led (perhaps on the black square buttons when switching on or off the dishwasher but oddly, the entire panel since this problem is blank

Ok im starting to think you have a fault on the control board here.

Remove the outer door panel and from there remove the plastic control panel.

There you will see the control board. Take it out and open the plastic casing and see if theres any signs of burning on there. If so then you need to replace the control board on this.

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Wow, that was tricky - with all those little pieces to keep aligned.

I've done that as as far as I can see there is no signs of burn in the orange box compartment which I released to look at - or the main LHS assembly (see photo). The orange box I'm managed to put back in before the photo - will try switch back on now and hope it doesn't blow up!!

Ok fingers crossed it doesnt blow.

If it all looks ok but its still doing the same and not resetting and its keeps running all the time then its looking like the control board itself is faulty.

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

So, I guess that means that I leave it stand as it is - call NEFF tomorrow and have someone come out. Do you know how much a call out would be and how much a new panel would be - and with this build up of costs if its still worth fixing?

Im afraid that would be the best idea here.

If you give Neff a bell they can do a 12 month policy for you for about £16 a month roughly. This will probberly be the better option as they will do the repair and give a full 12 month warrenty on the whole appliance so that may be cheaper then getting a local engineer in as a board on its own can be roughly about £150.

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Ok Daniel, thanks for the advise - £184 and 12 months warranty or £150+ a call out for another £90 I imagine. Or buy a new (cheaper) machine. There probably won't be an firm resolution without a call out - so are you fairly definite now its a board problem? Let me know.

If so, then I guess its the end of the line for this chat (pity it can't be a change the fuse and its all fine again, Ma'm. But that's life. Thanks for your help - at least I get my hands dirty and know what the inside of a dish washer looks like now. 35 years ago I used to work as a computer assembler in Digital - so I can feel proud that I still can tinker with things. No, it didn't blow up - and no, there aren't bits still left over when re-assembed!!

I cannot be 100% sure its a board fault without seeing it but from the fault you describe and the checks done its looking more like the board is at fault.