canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have a Baumatic BR27B fridge freezer and it keeps

I have a Baumatic BR27B fridge freezer and it keeps frosting in the fridge section. It is supposed to be frost free and infract the freezer does not even frost. I have manually defrosted a number of times but the frost returns. Any idea why this is and how it can be resolved?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. How long did you defrost it and did you also wipe the inside of the fridge and the freezer clean after defrosting? When defrosting did you have the doors open for the entire time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

Thanks for your response. The only section I touched was the fridge as the freezer has no issue and is not defrosting. As the fridge is not supposed to frost I had the fridge open used the back end of a knife to clear all of the ice that was frozen to the back of the fridge and then cleaned out the fridge. This process took maybe 40 minutes and all seemed fine for maybe 10 days until I could see the ice building up again.

You are welcome and thank you for the response to my response! When you cleaned the inside of the fridge did you also remove the bottom drawer and clean the bottom of the fridge and especially around the little drain hole? If you look inside the freezer, do you see any ice around the vent or any ice on the walls there at all? Is the freezer pretty full of items?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes when I cleaned the fridge I removed the bottom draw and cleaned the bottom (this process has been repeated on 4/5 occasions but the same issue re appears). The freezer is almost never full, generally about half full but no once around the vent or ice on the back walls... The only ice is on the back wall of the fridge in the middle section.

Is it a thin layer of ice that has formed in the fridge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it is a think layer of frost like ice, the kind of thing I would expect to see in Toronto in February...

Yuck, Toronto! Are there a lot of items in the fridge and are any of the items against the back wall? If you pull the fridge out and look under it, is there any water in the little drain pan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Haha. The fridge is fitted so I can't physically move there have been periods when the fridge is almost empty and periods where it has been full at the moment it is medium to full, nothing is currently against the back wall otherwise it will freeze..

No worries. No need to check out the pan then. I do believe that the only issue to be that the drain hole is blocked. It is normal to have a little ice build-up inside the fridge although it should be minimal in the middle portion. That amount would change marginally depending on a few things such as if the door seal is not sealing well or if the door is ever accidentally left partially open and of course the thermostat setting. The drain hole can be cleaned out. The fridge has a drain hole cleaner that was provided by the manufacturer. If you clean the drain hole out with the hole cleaner then that should prevent any more occurrences of excessive ice in the fridge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your attempts here, unfortunately I don't see this helping, the ice build up is huge and there are none of the issues you have mentioned obvious, the drain hole seems clear. I'll need to get an engineer in. Thanks for trying.

If it is none of what I suggested then one other issue it could be and also a very likely cause is that the evaporator may be a little iced up. The evaporator will sometimes get iced beyond what the heater can melt off and cause excessive cooling. If you give it a really good defrosting before calling someone out that should solve the issue. Otherwise there may be a problem with the thermostat but if there were then there would be excessive ice in the freezer compartment also. The fridge and freezer would need to be completely emptied. The next step would be unplugging the power and leave the doors open for at least 24 hours. Put some towels in front of the fridge in case some of the ice melting gets some water on the floor also. That will allow the evaporator to completely defrost and if the problem persists after that then it would be a problem with the defrost timer or heater on the evaporator.
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber