Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I am about to install a new Norccol corner fridge in a corner

Customer Question

I am about to install a new Norccol corner fridge in a corner with kitchen units built around it. What access do I need to service it?
SB
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ as you will be aware this is a high quality, product but you haven't advised if you intend it to be built in or built around (both are available for the corner unit) However, you will need to make sure that the appliance is removable to allow any engineer to get around the back to service components at the rear together with making sure that there is good ventilation across the base area and above the unit. As a secondary point many service companies will not remove the appliance from its housing as this can lead to claims for damage. So in the round whilst making it look superb also make sure it is easy to access for any necessary repairs ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian

Thanks for the information - could you give me ` little more advice please.

We had intended to have the fridge built in to a corner of the kitchen, but now realise we could not get to the back of it this way. The company distributing the fridge do not seem to be able to advise me.

As I have already paid for it I am not quite sure how to go ahead as the kitchen has already been designed. Hope for a perfect fridge that does not need servicing, or make part of the kitchen 'removable'?

Do you know this particular fridge and how much space we need above it for ventilation? The fridge has a ventilation grid as part of the base so I presume this is sufficient?

Stevie

Hi Stevie ~ These units are very high quality and I wouldn't expect them to fail early in their life span but things do go wrong and components aren't as reliable as they were ten years ago. In reality if the kitchen company are worth anything they can make the bottom kick strip removable by using latching clips so that it (the appliace) can be drawn out for service and repair. Candidly from my experience this is sadly lacking (taking into consideration appliance repairs) with kitchen companies but as you are the client they should do what you request.

With regard to ventilation, you don't need too much space above, about 50mm should do it (you can always hide it behind a nice grill) , its just to allow the air to pass through the front ventilation grid, up passed the heat exchanger (condenser) and out of the top. Failure to provide adequate ventilation can result in early failure of components so always best to build this into the original plans.

In general distributors of appliances are only box shifters they have no technical knowledge other than whats in the brochure and will always be vague rather than commit. Dare I say it, welcome to my world. ~~ Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Ian for your answer and your suggestions.

The real problem is that the fridge is hexagonal so that when it is built in it cannot simply be 'pulled out' for access, hence trusting to fate or somehow creating adjacent units that can be easily dismantled. Not easy when one side has a large pantry and the other a double unit with sink!

Regards again

Stevie

Yes see your problem, if they could make the pantry mobile then at least you wouldn't have to disconnect the water supply. ~ I think as long as you give adequate ventilation you should be pretty safe but be best if you had a fall back plan just in case.

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ian

Many thanks . . . useful and reassuring information / suggestions

Stevie

A pleasure ~ would you now kindly rate my information to you. This allows me to close down the job on the system whilst allowing you further questions if needed. Many thanks for the question Stevie. Have a great evening ~ Ian