Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Hotpoint Twin Tub

Customer Question

Hotpoint Twin Tub
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - stooling? please explain what the problem is, have you checked the clutch assembly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ian, I've used the wrong word the motor not stooling but whirling just not turning. I've had trouble with the spinner where it jams and had to free it, so that when I use the spinner I give it a few twist before using it. Also there was a leak on the spinner side! I've had numerous Hotpoint twin tubs since the 1960's but never had this problem before. Always had a service contract but as my present machine which I've had over two years was second hand no contract.

OK assuming that the bearing is not totally worn out ~ there is a clutch assembly on the bottom that is held in place with a 13mm nut. Usually what happends is that like a cars drum brakes the clutch faces become glazed and the clutch plate covered with dust. If you take it apart, sand down the clutch faces and wash out the plate this will cure the problem. Best way is to place towels down and tip the t/t over on its side. Undo the nut and remove the plate (make sure that the keyway is pointing upwards ~ its fits into the spinner shaft and if it falls out keep hold of it) clean/sand off the glaze remove dust and put it back together again (don't forget the keyway) tighten up the nut put the belt back on and you should be good to go ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Ian will get my other half to have a look at it. Fingers crossed it will solve the problem. On eBay a new 1970's one the bids at the moment are up to £500, they are very popular machines pity Hotpoint stopped making them. Kind regards Barbara

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ian, we've tried getting the nut off but because it keeps turning how do we stop it? When the belt is turn there's a rattle as if there's something lose inside! Barbara

Hi Barbara, Can you send me an email address and I will send you a copy of the illustrated diagram and then we can be sure we are working off the same pictures. You will need to replace the @ with (at) ~ I'm at work at the mo so will come back to you in a couple of hours ~ the rattling is quite normal ~ Ian