George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Why will my Servis Washing Machine not take the softener?

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George.. Can you give the model of the appliance please

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a Servis M6002

Hello Jo, when you say it will not take the softener, what do you mean exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I put softener in the tray in the correct compartment but the machine does not take it into the programme.

Does the drawer fill with water?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, but obviously not otherwise the softener would not remain there.

No Jo... that is not the case... There are cases for both scenarios of faults of this type when having water and not having water... otherwise I would not have asked...

This is a cold water only system.. Although you can only see one water input hose to the system, there are actually two solenoid valves behind it...

Both valves put water into your tank, but only one of them fills the softener tray... The softener valve is powered only when needed, which then places the water into the softener part of the tray to disseminate the softener...

Either the softener valve is not getting any power (unlikely) or, what is more common is that the valve is faulty.

Are you capable of removing the lid of the appliance and have you got a multimeter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to be so presumptuous - shows my ignorance! Am in the process of taking off the lid and waiting for my friend to arrive with a multimeter. If it is the solenoid will I be able to order one from the manufacturers? or is it not that simple? I don't mind having to call an engineer if there is a real fault to repair, but first wanted to make sure it is not something minor that I can do myself, with my friend's help. I really am not trying to be rude to you - just a female OAP with not a lot of money. I will see what result we get from the meter and contact you again.

Many thanks Jo

Hi Jo, If the problem is the Solenoid valve itself then it will need changing and they are available at the link below:

Washing Machine Double Water Inlet Valve

They cost just over £20 and are easy to fit, with just a few everyday tools, once a note of the wiring has been taken.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to rate the assistance as high as you can.. This does NOT cost you extra

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have just tried to submit a rating for you and it will not let me. Jo

Thanks Jo