Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

My dimplex EBY15 electric fire does not come on although red

Customer Question

my dimplex EBY15 electric fire does not come on although red light flashes when I push the remote control button. Ant suggestions as to what is wrong?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi , the overheat safety stat may have activated. Turn off the power at fused spur for ten minutes then back on .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi - it cant have overheated because it has been switched off at the mains for 24 hours. I haven't used the fire for heating just for the light effect. It used to turn on intermittently but now it doesn't work at all.

Hi , have you replaced the bulbs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, also the fan does not go round.
Hi, do you have power going to the fan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How would I know?
You would need to use an electrical multimeter tester. Otherwise we won't be able to track down the faulty part
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have an electrical multimeter tester - where do I need to check for power to the fan and llghts?

At the connection, either at the components themselves or at the pcb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry, but this answer is a bit a ambiguos. Can you be more specific about how I identify where the positive and negative connection points are?

Hi , not Ben able to locate the wiring diagram, but try each way
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Ben, that doesn;t help. Need a more specific answer....

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Told me what I already new.... need a more specific reply
Use the multimeter leads on each connector, it won't harm if you get them the wrong way round.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I realise that but if I dont know which connection should have power and which shouldnt - will be no further forward.

If there is no power you will get no reading , if there is you will. Look I'm going to opt out as I don't want to play games and I'm sure you don't either. I think its best to get an appliance electrician in , otherwise you are going to find yourself replacing expensive parts that you don't need . all the best

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Toby, I agree - we are going round in circles and I would not want to buy parts that I don't need.

It most probably Is the PCB , but think its worth getting it properly tested , take care , all the best