KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Zanussi ZWN1220W washing machine Fault: the machine goes

Zanussi ZWN1220W washing machine
Fault: the machine goes into drain mode when any wash programme is selected, when the drain cycle is complete it doesn't release the door (door locked light remains on). Returns to selected programme cycle display but with "cold" temperature selected but cycle does not start.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just answer....how old is it and is it the one with digital or knob controls ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nov 2006.

Digital. No error codes displayed.

ok do this and let me know if there is any error code displayed...unplug the washer, plug it back after few minutes then turn the knob to any cycle and let it light up...after this is done press and hold the START/PAUSE button with the button located to the left of it... keep them held for few seconds...a error code should flash E.. ? let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No error codes displayed

OK, as it goes to drain cycle it seems something is stuck in there or the pressure switch is stuck causing this problem. This is the reason washer goes to drain cycle and the door wont open because the washer has not completely drained...you can pull the washer out and clean the drain pump completely...if the problem is solved after doing this great if not then check this :

Part#12 from that image is the pressure switch, you will have to remove the top to access this switch and then blow through the thin hose to make sure everything is clean...this should solve the problem..let me know how it goes.
_____________________________________________________________________________
If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I cleaned out the drain pump and all the lines to and from it.

Also checked the lines to the pressure switches, all OK.

Manually filled the washer and tested pump operation, once drained the pump switches off.

When I select any wash cycle and press the start button again the washer switches into drain mode. Fault remains.

Next step, replace pressure switch.

NB - read your last reply after I'd done the above work.

OK, if you have blown through the switch as well then try this: turn everything to off and then press and hold the start button with the button to the left again...while holding them turn the knob 1 click clockwise ... lights will start flashing, now let go the buttons and turn the dial 1 click at a time till you get to off ... after this unplug the washer and plug it back... let me know if this reset procedure will reset the controls.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kevin

This model doesn't have a knob to turn, just push buttons for on/off, fabric, temp etc. Manual page 6 - http://www.manualslib.com/manual/199557/Zanussi-Zwn-1220-W.html?page=6#manual

Is there a reset procedure for this control panel?

Yes, the only other way to reset is there in the manual that you have sent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kevin

The only reset procedure I can see in the manual is there on page 6 of the manual, to active/deactivate the acoustic signal, is there another procedure elsewhere in the manual?

Also, page 20, the paper manual supplied with the washer gives E fault codes (E10, 20, 40) which don't appear on my washer but the online manual I linked to displays how the fault codes appear on my washer - 2 lights - indicating a problem with water draining.

OK, I understand...the only other way to reset is pressing the start button with the button to the left of it... is still it wont work then pressure switch will need replacement
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just a final update, installed a new pressure switch as suggested above. Normal operation restored. Three washes done without problem.

Many thanks for your help with this.