Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

We have a Bosch dishwasher type S6V43A03GB and it is depositing

We have a Bosch dishwasher type S6V43A03GB and it is depositing "grit" on some of the washed items and also on the inside of the machine. I suspect the "grit" is coming from the water softening unit built into the machine. How do I cure this problem?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ can you give me an idea of the colour of the grit and what is its shape please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The "grit" is a bit like grains of caster sugar, lightish brown in colour .

I said that I thought that it may come from the water softener. I remember when examining another machine some time ago I could see a water softening device and like most modern water softeners it cotained a resin and I think some of the resin is somehow getting into the washing water.

If I am right then can I bypass the water softener.? We don't need it as we have a water softener on the main water supply

OK let explain why I asked the original question, the way the water softener works is that incoming water passes through the water softener and then is released into the wash cavity. There is no actual connection between the softener area containing resin beads and the water inlet, the beads are too large to pass into the wash cavity. Unless there is a split in the bead chamber. In my 25 years in this business I have never seen a split in a bead chamber unless the dishwasher has been dropped. The beads are brown in colour and just over a millimetre in size. However a dishwasher is able to scale up with debris which also comes out looking like caster sugar small angular bits rather than the beads which look like plastic ball bearings. I would in the first instance put a decent cleaner/descaler through the machine and see if that clears things.

Regarding bypassing the water softener no you cant, it is a function of the dishwasher that a backflush to take away the calcium deposits is carried out periodically, if the dishwasher detects that the softener is not there or not connected then the machine will shut down ~ Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. We will put a cleaner in the machine as you sugggest. Is there any particular product which you would recommend?

As long as you pick one of the better ones such Finish or Oust you should be OK. Would you now kindly rate my service to you using the smiley faces below, this lets me close down the question on the system but allows you further questions on a free of charge basis ~ Ian
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.