Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My Bosch fridge freezer alarm won't stop. It is the alarm that

My Bosch fridge freezer alarm won't stop. It is the alarm that goes off when the door is left open, but it is closed firmly. The temperature of the freezer is what it should be. Please help - it's very annoying. Thanks.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ can you give me the full ENr for the fridge freezer please so that I can look up the specifications.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Model number is *****

There is another number (on the instructions - I can't see a number on the fridge): ********** /p>

OK firstly can you check the rear panel in the freezer behind the draws and advise if this area is frozen up or showing ice around this panel. Secondly how have you concluded that the freezer is operating at the correct temperature?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have checked behind the drawers. It isn't frozen up or showing ice around the panel. I wiped it down just in case, but it's fine. The temperature reading at the top of the fridge freezer says it is -18 and the fridge -4, which is what they're set to be. In the past when the appliance has turned off (because of a power cut) the temperature gage has gone down. Or if the fridge door has been left open by mistake, the temperature gage has gone down. Also, when the alarm has gone off in the past - because of the temperature going too low - it has always been possible to turn off the alarm with the mute button. This is now not possible.

Could you check the fridge temperature for me you have given this as -4 do you mean +4C ??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

+4

OK this is going to take a little time, I realise that the displayed temperature seems to be correct but I need to be sure that the displayed temperature is actually the correct temperature. Basically, at this point you have either the temperature sensor, door switch or main pcb that is faulty, if we can exclude the sensor by confirming the temperature, the door switch is seen to be working that only leaves the pcb. As this is the most expensive part try checking the temperature first and then we can move on. This will take you till the morning if you have a normal thermometer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. I'll put a thermometer (old fashioned mercury one) in the freezer. I have to go out early tomorrow morning, but I'll check the thermometer before I go. I'll be back early afternoon to check what you say. By the way, what does pcb stand for? I'm going to bed now and switching off the computer. Thanks.

It stands for printed circuit board and is the computer that runs the fridge freezer for you and is located just behind the facia control panel. Ping me on here tomorrow when you are around and we can continue our chat ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The alarm has stopped. The temperature reading hasn't changed at all since last night. I have to go out this morning but will be back this afternoon.

OK I have to head of to work too will catch up with you later ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm just back. The alarm is not ringing. The temperature reads -18 for the freezer, +4 for the fridge. I still don't understand why the alarm should have gone off unless there is something wrong with the temperature reading.

Probably because you either left the door slightly open or because you had a slight power cut which was enough for the motor to shut down and not restart for a couple of hours. Not sure about this model specifically but some in the range average out the temperature over a period ie 28 days so whilst the display is correct the actual temperature isn't correctly listed. This is why I asked you to check with a thermometer to be sure. Would you now kindly rate my information to you using the smiley faces below, this allows me to shut the job down on the system but lets you ask further questions if needed if the problem reappears ~ Many thanks - Ian