Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Can you help me with a Bosch Exxcel tumble dryer that

Hi - can you help me with a Bosch Exxcel tumble dryer that won't produce hot air?
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Are you wanting to dismantle this to try and resolve this yourself? If so, do you have a multimeter ?ThanksRob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob - happy to dismantle, but I don't have a multimeter. I can go and buy one though.

James

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi James OK, the most likely culprit is going to be the heater or the overheat cut out. On some of these models there is a small removeable panel on the back. Remove this and you should see the heater with the cut out. Check both. If the element is open circuit youll need to replace it. If the cut out is open circuit, some are resettable by pushing the reset button. If yours isnt resettable, itll need to be replaced Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces / stars, which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more helpThanksRob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob,

On the Bosch there is a panel over the heater and air impeller. In the past I have removed it in order to get to the over heat trip and push the red button in (so closing the circuit for the cut out). Last week I replaced the heater unit (but without a multimeter I was gambling) here is a link to a picture of the part (http://scalexpic.espares.co.uk/71a6ea53-6355-4882-8567-6f8eb8e10415?maxwidth=200&maxheight=200).

This hasn't resolved the problem. I guess that there must be another trip switch that perhaps has failed. Do you know whether that is the case?

Cheers,

James

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi James
Apologies, the site is having some "issues".
It has only just sent me the details that you have already replaced the heater!!

You will need to check the voltage at the heater when it should be drying
Let me know
Rob
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

I think that what is happening here is the heater is overheating and causing the cut out to trip
If you are getting 240v at the heater but it doesnt heat, the cut out has tripped again.
If so, you need to check all the airways for blockages

Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob - I have put a damp hand towel into the dryer to test it. I was about to take the back off in order to get to measure the voltage across the heater. I noticed that the cover was warm, indicating that the heater must be functioning. So left the dryer to run through its cycle.

The tumbler runs through a sequence of up to 4 stages:

Drying

Iron Dry

Cupboard Dry

Anti-Crease/End

During the "Drying" stage the heater comes on, but does not get as hot - probably no warmer than 40C.

When the sequence gets to "Cupboard Dry" the heater goes of.

I left it run in this state for 15 minutes - the heater stayed off.

I opened the loading door to check the towel - it is still damp, probably as damp as when I put it in. There is no water in the tank.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

James

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi James Is this a condensor dryer then?Do you have the model number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yup its condenser:

Bosch Exxcel

WTL 6305GB/01

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
ThanksFrom the new description and given that we know the heater must be working, this now sounds like the main board, unless its a blockage and the heater is just cutting out.I would still test for voltage and make sure the overheat cut out has not operated. How old is the machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its about 10 years old.

I've cleaned out the filters and the heat exchanger).

There was some fluff in there, but not huge amounts.

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
OKI think its the main board. Its not keeping the supply to the heater correctly.The bad news is the price of the part!! To be honest, the only way I would consider a reapir on a machine of this age is a fixed price repair, as it would include all parts needed to fix it. The parts would also be guaranteed, where as if you replaced the parts, they would carry no guarantee at all. Not good on an expensive partIf youd like a quote let me have the postcode.In the meantime,Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces / stars, which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more helpThanksRob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob - I'm in BR7 6AD - what would your quote be? James

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
The quote is for £145This includes the call out, all labour, all parts and the vatIf youd like to book it, please call Repaircare on0843(###) ###-####on - Fri 8am - 6pm / Sat - 9am - 4pm / Sun - 11am - 3pmThey will make an appontment for you All the best Rob