Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I Have an AEG Arctis freezer which we run at -18 degrees (for

I Have an AEG Arctis freezer which we run at -18 degrees (for c9 years). Last night the warning light flashed temporarily and the temperature display showed the temperature dropping to around -13 degrees. We then activated the fast freeze and temperature display started to drop again. However this morning when I looked the temperature was again showing -13 degrees, however the thermometer we'd placed in the freezer last night was reading -18 degrees. It appears that the display temperature is not showing the actual temperature in the appliance. Please advise what is the most likely cause? P.S. we hadn't put anything warm in the freezer prior to this anomaly occurring.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - couple of questions, when you put it on fast freeze last night did you switch it off when it had reached -18c ie back to normal? Can you give me the full pnc or product code on the rating plate so that I can check the appliance specifications. Artic is just a range of refrigeration equipment not a model number. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian, I'm not at home until this evening so will provide the requested information 1st thing tomorrow morning. Thanks Steve.

Hi Steve,

That's fine talk to you in the morning or this evening if that's more convenient ~ Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian, AEG Arctis - Model No. 75238-GA1 Product No. ********* The internal temperature based on a thermometer we placed in the freezer appears to be -18 which is what we set. However the display is consistently showing -13 or -14. The fast freeze actually takes the temperature to well below -18 even though this isn't registered by the display. No warnings are appearing and apart from the termperature display showing a temp around 4 degrees warmer that the actual internal temp all else seems OK?? Thanks Steve.

OK could you let me have the product number again please Steve preceded by a # ***** #123 etc, the system thinks you are sending me a phone number and has blanked it out ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here you go - Prod no. #922045871

OK how old would you say the unit is? Reason I ask is that having checked the spares availability for this model there seems to be an awful lot that are no longer available, this usually means the appliance is quite old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I bought the freezer approx 9 years ago.

OK, well this is what I would do ~ there is an air sensor in the appliance that measures the temperature in the appliance and feeds it back to the display, over time the resistances of these change and can result in the display being slightly out of calibration. Unfortunately, the air sensor is no longer available from AEG and is listed as obsolete. In your position and bearing in mind that the appliance works I would either forget about it and compensate for the temperature difference or buy yourself a small digital thermometer and use this to keep an eye on the temperature this one on ebay would suit your needs or something similar ~~ http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Black-Digital-Display-LCD-Temperature-Tester-Thermometer-mit-Sensor-Control-/281539532140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418d10556c ~~ Ian
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.