George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I'm getting occasional noise from washing machine during spin

I'm getting occasional noise from washing machine during spin cycle and drain. I've stripped and cleaned out the pump. Now taken the front of to check the drum. There doesn't appear to be any play in the drum so think the bearing is possibly ok. However have notice that the drum isn't sitting concentrically in the outer casing. Does this indicate a problem?
John
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Whilst you have the front off, also remove the belt, then spin the drum by hand...

Let me know if you have the hame niose

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello George
I've done that and there's no noise. The noise only appears to be there when the door seal is in place and there appears to be evidence of where the drum has rubbed the seal.
The drum spins freely and noiselessly when the belt is off
John
Can you do the same with the shaft of the motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes no problem with the motor.
Ok John,

1. have a look at the suspension for the appliance to see if there is any wear there
2. have a look at the brushes for the motor if it is using a brushed motor, to see if there is sufficient carbon for the motor to operate correctly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks George I've checked out and can't see any problem. The issue appears to be around the drum not sitting central in the outer casing. This then seems to be causing contact with the door seal and making the noise. This is more apparent whe you spin the drum slowly by hand
Ok John,

I need you tocheck for movement in the drum itself, but not just at one point.. all the way around it. As you rotate the drum, press upward on the outer lip, watch to see if there is more movement than anywhere else in the drum...

What you are looking for is to see if one of the drum support legs has fractured or broken
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George I can't detect any movement. Do you think it's worth taking the drum assembly apart? I no from past experience that's a pig of a job but would give it a try if you think it may be worthwhile?
How bad is the alignment John?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5mm gap at the narrowest and 22mm at the widest
Do you think anything like a sock has gone missing from your laundry; got between the inner and outer drum, and bent the drum... Unlikely to do that much damage... However, that amount of differntial is an indication of one of two things...

1. Damaged bearings
2. Broken Drum Support

Most likely the broken drum support...

Either way you would need to remove the drum to investigate further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks George I'll give it a go. Many thanks for your help
You are very welcome...

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate the assistance as highly as possible.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair