Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hotpoint WMSL 521 has stopped in mid cycle and will not reset.

Customer Question

Hotpoint WMSL 521 has stopped in mid cycle and will not reset. When attempted to restart the machine mechanically clicks 4 or 5 times but will not resume the program or any other setting. Has been unplugged and reset / restart attempted but no joy.
Any ideas?
Regards, Greg
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

When you get this kind of fault worn carbon brushes or lose wires on the motor can cause this kind of fault were it wont start but you get a lot of clicking from the door lock.

So pull the washer out and lean it backwards against a wall and get someone to hold it for you.

Then lie down and look under the washer. There you will see the back of the motor.

At the back of the motor you will see the carbon brushes. Check the wires are attched to them as sometimes the wire can come off.

If the wires are fine then remove the carbon brush and see if its worn. If so then you will need to replace them.

Check them out first and let me know what you find. As if they are fine i can advise further on this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No wires loose all attached. Don't know how to remove brushes to check them. Machine less than 15 months old and not overly used. I need to go out so will reply to any answer you have tomorrow. Cheers, Greg
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok i can see its a newish washer so at 15 months old and not overly used then they are probberly fine. But to remove the carbon brush theres 2 screws holding them on either side of the holder.

But if they are fine then its either the door lock itself at fault or the control board at the back.

To check this you need to open the door and remove the metal clamp from around the outside of the door seal and unlip it from there.

Then remove the door lock and pull it thorugh the port hole. Then disconnect the wiring block and there you will see 3 tags. You need a multi meter to test this. Test between all 3 tags and you should get a reading between 2 of the tags. If you dont then the lock is fault and will need to be replaced.

But if the lock is fine and the carbons are as well then its looking like the control board is the fault here.

Now for this you will be best getting Hotpoint in as they do a fixed price repair for £110 which includes all parts and labour so this is actually cheaper then you buying the board yourself. As the boards are sold blank so will need to be programmed up with there laptop.

But check the door lock and see what you find. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked and rechecked wiring. Brushes fine. With regard to your next suggestion, the door lock, I can not open the door no matter what I do.

Is there a way to manually open it? I have emptied most of the water out through the bottom floor level outlet.

Regards, Greg

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok if you remove the plastic trim on the front at the bottom and look at the side were the door opens and there you should see a green plastic tag.

You need to pull this down and at the same time pull the door handle and that should allow the door to open from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** and seal released. Now how do you get door lock off as I feel I am forcing it?

Regards, Greg

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok theres either 2 screws holding it on or if you you will see 2 small pips 1 above and 1 below the hole the door pin goes into.

You need to use a small screwdiver and push each pip in and then hold the look inside and and push it to the right and it should come off from there.

But from the sounds of this the door lock is the issue as i think if you close the door it may lock stright away. If it does then that is a door lock fault as ive replaced loads of them in the past.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have pushed pips in and attempted to push the door lock to the right but it will not come free. It is being held in place by the grey door catch receiving flange on the outside of the machines skin. The rectangular hole it is seated in is not large enough to pass it through. So n either can be removed. Am I missing something here?

regards, Greg

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

That grey cover you see is part of the lock itself.

So if you are pushing both pips in at the same time and pushing it backwards wont move it then try push the pipes in an pull it forward and it should come of that way.

It has to come off at least one of them ways as its just the pips that holds it on and it latches on.

So try it a few times an it should come off from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cool. Bit of extra brute force did it. Will check it out with a multimeter tomorrow and let you know.

Cheers, Greg

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries thats fine. Brute force normally sort things out ha ha
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg.

Just wondering how you got on with the washer as the question is still open?