Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a Zanussi FL-1085 machine. The machine was on a

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Zanussi FL-1085 machine. The machine was on a wash from C round to F, I have found the machine stopped with no power, the program looks to be just a few clicks from the final spin. The door is locked shut with clothes inside. The fuse in the plug is OK, and 240v is getting to the 1st termination point within the machine (on the top cross member)
What can i look at next and what's failed?
I'm a qualified (retired) electrician, but have next diagnosed a fault within the machine. I have previously changed the drum bearings, so i've no problem trying to fix it.
Your advise would be appreciated,
Regards, Andy
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Is there water still inside the drum?
Does the display light as you would expect?
Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There's no power to the machine, the red/orange neon on the front of the machine is no longer on. water did come out of the drain hose, but it's unclear how much is in there...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have now drained all the water out, there appeared to quite a lot of it there, more than i would have expected considering the stage of the cycle it was at.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Andy

OK, if the neon is not on, then its either going to be the mains capacitor or the main controller itself

The supressor is located near the main terminal point. You should get 240v out, towards the main control
Its not unheard of for these to fail!
If that looks and tests OK, then i am afraid it sounds like the main control

Can you tell me how old this is and how many times a week its been used

In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces / stars, which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more help
Rob

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rob, I can't remember how old it is, but as i now have the door open, here's the details off the Makers ID. Model FL1085, type P6296174, Prod no. *********** Serial number 711 00307.

As to the supressor, there's 240v in, but only 180v out measured at the input of the main PCB. You think this maybe faulty??

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Andy

Yes
I suspect this is the problem
You should have no voltage drop across the mains supressor.
A loss of 60v is 25%
The controller and motor etc wont function

If you need a link to the part, let me know

Please dont forget to rate as tis is the only way I get credit for spending my Sunday helping you with this
Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK Rob, i shall remove the unit and look for a suitable replacement. I wasn't sure if i could click on the rating buttons prior to the end, as it seems to show 'rate to finish'.. So far, top notch service, and i'll rate for sure when i finish typing this. I'll use espares for the replacement... Regards, Andy

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Andy

Rating does NOT close the converstaion, honest!
E spares is the best place for the part

All the best
Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again Rob, the part number i have is###-##-####it's a 01uF cap. Do you have the link to a replacement please.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Here you go, just click on the word in blue
Hope your sitting down !!

I would say that a trip to a local shop would get you the same thing at a fraction of that price !!

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's the one... Ouch... but needs must... Smile.

Thanks very much for your help on a sunday afternoon. Top notch!

Enjoy the rest of the day... Cheers, Andy

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
you too Andy

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rob, just thought i'd let you know that my machine is now back to normal. espares didn't have the suppressor in stock, so a further search took me to Zanussi'ds own web site where i bought the unit at a considerable saving :-)

https://zanussi.site.powa.com/search?ssv=1240343325

Thanks for your help.

regards

Andy

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Andy
Great news

Im surprised at E spares, they are normally the cheapest!!

Thanks for letting me know that all is well

Rob