Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My refrigerator is Amana model XRSS264BB. The slim handles

My refrigerator is Amana model XRSS264BB. The slim handles have come loose on both doors. How do I access to tighten please?
Diana
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ during its production run there were a number of handles fitted to this model, does it look like there is a cover running all the way down the front of the handle assembly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No just slim stainless steel rod handles with 4 fixing points. All brackets for handles are screwed from the inside of the stainless doors. No access on outside / inside frame. The refrigerator was purchased in 2003. .
According to the diagram I have there is a cover on the outer top and bottom of the handle that is removable, once these are removed you have three screws to tighten up at the top, one three quarters of the way down and two further in the bottom of the handle area.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry but our handles are solid stainless steel rods with no covers top or bottom.
Maybe this further info will help you identify the model.
MFG number PXRSS264BBO
S/N 10879796CE
The screws come from the inside and are screwed directly into the rod.
Is there any way I can send you a photograph I wonder?
Diane
Yes you can send me a photo to ~~ dales.electronic(at)btopenworld.com ~~ using @ in place of (at).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have sent photos to you.
Thanks Diane

OK Diane, I can see that this is a Whirlpool version of the Amana rather than the original Amana, can you leave it with me and I'll get the manual from them tomorrow and come back to you with the instructions ~ Could you let me have the product code which will be on the rating plate so that I can nail it down to a particular build period, thanks - Ian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks Ian
The only other info inside the fridge is
136kg.
R134
It states made in Chicago USA.
Will send a photo of the complete plate which shows everything.
Always been serviced by an Amana engineer so had no idea it came via Whirpool. We live in Spain now but did have an original Amana imported from the States when we lived in the UK.
Thanks again photos on the way
Diane
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ian
Have received a request to rate your service but can't find the answer!
"...." These symbols are printed on the answer page.
Have I missed something?
Diane
Havent forgotten you just waiting for further info ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ian
Look forward to hearing from you
Diane

Have sent an email to Whirlpool in America asking for further advice as the UK version shows different door handles/fitting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks Ian
Sorry the question has proved a difficult one!
Diane

I have a Maytag, also now made by Whirlpool - getting technical information is just as bad for it (laughs) Could you get me the product code for it please, somewhere on the rating plate, makes it easier later if I need to ask for further information ~ speak soon.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ian
Thanks for your reply. Only info on inside of fridge is the the photo of the plate on left hand side which we already sent you. Sorry can't be of more help!
Diane

Could you tell me where you sent the photo of the rating plate please, I can't find it ~

Hot off the press ~~ page 5 lower refers -- Ian

http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/assets/pdfs/literature/Use%20and%20Care%20Guide%20-%2012591314.pdf

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ian
I sent the ratings plate photo to daleelectronic e mail address same as the main photo of the fridge and handles. I'll try and send it again for you. Now if you are ready for a good laugh? .......We spent 3 hours searching through piles of old manuals until we found the one that came with the fridge.....and it's nothing like the model we own! The handles and fittings are completely different to ours. Then full of hope we picked up your e mail and looked at page 5. Guess what.....it's exactly the same as the manual we found! Different handles to ours! Don't know where we go from here?
Sorry it's so complicated I'm beginning to think this fridge was a 'one off'
Diane
OK let me have a look at the photos, I just forwarded the info from Whirlpools response, it could be a one off as there was a company think they were called Bradshaws that modified american styles by cladding them with stainless steel for the high end market. We came came across a lot of Samsung units a couple of years ago that had this modification. However, stay with it, if the thing goes on then it must come off we just need to work out how ~ Ian