Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a LG sxs. It is not blowing any cool air. I have checked

I have a LG sxs. It is not blowing any cool air. I have checked the defrost heater and sensor and the freezer sensor. I have felt the compressor and it vibrates gently and switches ok. Fans are working any help would be appreciated.
Thank you Ron
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron, is there any excess frost on the inside rear wall of the freezer?
Also how old is your fridge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No frost but when we found it failing there was water on the floor and everything defrosted. Age about 5years
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ron,
is the fan in the freezer, behind the rear wall running when the door is closed?
Also check the copper lines on the compressor, let me know one should be warm the other cold when it is running for a few minutes.
Let me know what you find;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last time I checked one was cool the other warm. But I will run it for five minutes if you wish to check.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron yes please do that and let me know what you find;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it has been running for five minutes. The coil side is warmer than the other
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to say about fan yes freezer fan is working.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ron,
but is the cool line cold or just cool?
Also I need to know if the compressor is actually running, it should hum and you should be able to her the freon running through the lines if it is quiet in the room.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael if the sxs is running the noise of the freezer fan prevents me hearing very much, but yes using a stethoscope that I use for auto engines I believe the compressor is running with a low hum and you can feel it vibrating. But as to the freon which by the way is R134a I can not tell. Give me a better clue
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ron,
i understand its difficult to hear. This is either one of two things, it could be a sealed system problem which would make the fridge not worth repairing due to the cost of such a service.
But it sounds to me like the compressor isn't running correctly and If this were me I wouldn't simply replace the start relay.
I would try whats called a hard start capacitor in place of the start relay on the compressor.
They are inexpensive and super east to install and no soldering needed.
It sounds like the compressor my not actually be running but rather trying to start. This happens to some compressors over time and the hard start should fix this issue.
The best place to get a hard start for your compressor is Espares. please call them as they don't list all parts on site. Phone: 0844 9777 888.
They are economical, reliable and ship the same day in most cases. This part you need is a generic component that works with many compressors.
I will stick with you.
If you need me further you can reach me after rating at no additional cost .
please be sure to rate my answer kindly at this time before closing this page.
It won't cost you anything additional to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost and you can always get in touch with me if you need further help;-)
Thank you Ron and have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sealed system fault is that a reference when we can't find an answer to a problem. Thank you Michael, but I am no further forward than I were before my inquiry. My own diagnosis is low on gas, but I could be wrong.
Thanks again Michael, a little disappointing .
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron,a sealed system problem is a leak or worse...a clog in the line due to contamination inside.
That is very expensive to locate and repair is what I was referring to.
It may be low on gas(freon) but if that is the case is it still is an issue that may be expensive to fix ultimately depending on the leak that would be present in the system. If the system is low on freon(gas) then you have a leak somewhere, these units don't lose freon unless there is a leak. Its not like they use freon up lol;-)
But I suspect the more likely problem to be the compressor not running but simply trying to start. I have been a refrigeration technician for over 30 years so I am pretty sure of my diagnosis. i work hands on with this issue all the time;-)
I would try the hard start in this case.
Please rate my service kindly to you as it is the only way I am credited for my time with you. Also it wont cost you anything more to rate that way;-)
Have a great day Ron
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.