George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

What could cause flashing and charring of insulated grid feet

What could cause flashing and charring of insulated grid feet on Baumatic microwave BMC450? Are replacement feet available?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Could you explain your situation in a little more detail please?
When you say 'insulated grid feet' what are you referring to?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I mean the orange plastic "buffers" fixed to the legs of the cooking grid.

Thank you for describing that.. by 'Cooking Grid' I presume you are meaning the round cooking rack.. is this correct?

If not, can you supply an image of the part?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do mean the cooking rack - one of two different heights.

You are also describing 'Flashing'.. Is this similar to lightening?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - apparently a discharge from the magnetron radiation?

Can you tell me what setting you are using the microwave on...

1. Microwave only
2. Grill only
3. Microwave + Grill Combination
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

microwave only

The problem you are having is that the Grill Racks are not ment for use with 'Microwave Only' use... This is causing arcing to the metal feet of the reack due to the wave type of the microwave on that setting.

Here is a link to the 'Utensils Table' that will assist you in using the grill racks during the appropriate settings.

The feet for the grill racks / stands are not available separately.. However,if you now use the racks in the appropriate circumstances, you should have no need to replace them.

---------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate the assistance I have given you today kindly & if you need further advice on this matter, please feel free to ask
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cannot agree to your assessment of the problem as the grids are intended for use when also microwaving. The availability of different heights of grid is to position varying sizes of foods to be more or less in the centre of the cavity when cooking, as detailed in the Baumatic instruction booklet.

Have you any further comments please?

I have provided you with a link to the Utensils Guide directly from the Baumatic Service Manual for the BMC450..

Please click on the link and look at the bot***** *****ne....

You may use the different grill stands / racks in bothe the Grill and the Combination settings, but NOT in the 'Microwave only' setting..

You are correct in saying "The availability of different heights of grid is to position varying sizes of foods to be more or less in the centre of the cavity when cooking, as detailed in the Baumatic instruction booklet" but if you l'm sure that if you look a little closer in the manual that you have, you will find some indication that this is only for Grill / Combination modes and not for Microwave only mode.

Please do not continue to use the 'Grill Stands' on the 'Microwave Only' setting Norman.. To do so will damage your expensive microwave.

If you are still questioning the validity of the information or the advice I have given you, please feel free to contact Hoover Candy for whom I do work and who are the owners of the Baumatic brand and they will confirm this information for you.

Here are the contact details:

PHONE
Spares Telephone: +44 (0)844(###) ###-####br/>Customer Care Telephone: +44 (0)844(###) ###-####br/>
Registered Address:
Hoover Ltd
Pentrebach Road
Pentrebach
Merthyr Tydil
Mid Glamorgan CF48 4TU

Please remember to rate the assistance given to you by me today

regards
George