Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a baumatic bt2740ss. Ive had it about 6 years and in

I have a baumatic bt2740ss. Ive had it about 6 years and in the last few days its started making a noise that sounds what I can only describe as a squeaky fan belt that starts as soon as the oven is turned on regardless whether or not any of the fan settings are chosen. It doesnt seem to affect the working of the oven but it is very loud and very annoying. Any ideas would be welcomed
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - can you give me a little more information, does this only happen when you have the oven switched on in fan oven mode?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It happens when I turn the oven on evn on the non fan settings as I thought it may be the fan. The only setting it doesnt happen is when just the light setting is selected. It slowly cranks up to the same speed as the fan when I turn it on, the noise that is, and then keeps making the noise for the whole time the oven is working

OK I have been looking at the diagram for this model and sometimes there are two fans fitted, one that circulates the hot air in the oven and the other that keeps the electronics cool whilst you are using it. What generally happens is that when you switch off the oven this fan continues to run for between 15-20 minutes after you use it. Is this the case with yours? ~~ I've had time to check whilst I waited for your repair, there are two fans in your model, one in the oven the other a tangential fan that fits behind the timer assembly and cools the switch panel. I would suggest that it is this fan that's the problem ~ Ian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No there is no fan working after it is turned off, is this only fitted to models that continue to cool after its turned off? It does sound like it could be a secondary fan as it does sound like something spinning round that is making the noise. It sounds almost like it needs oiling if that makes sense?

OK there is a tangential fan as discussed part number for it is 09U456 but it has a horrendous price, will you be attempting this job yourself ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I was planning on having a go myself but if its that expensive would it be better and cheaper to get a new oven or is it a reasonably accessable thing to get to and sort for a £100 or so?

No it is not too difficult to get the job done, the part is expensive if bought from the manufacturer at about £90 but I can direct you to a company that will supply you one for about the £20 mark ~ however I need details from you first so identify its size ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That sounds great are they still genuine parts or does it not really make much difference? What details would you need?

Most manufacturers buy in fans and the like from specialised manufacturers who produce them to an agreed international size, all I need from you is the size of the fan. By that I need the size of the hole where the air comes out and which side the electric motor is fitted to. I can then point you in the right direction. If you take the appliance back off you should be able to see the fan below the hotplate area or alternatively bolted to the back ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have taken the back plateoff the back and had a look and in doing so I think it may have dislodged something that has got in to the fan to make to soumd like it did as it no longer does it! Ive turned it on and off several times and it has continued to stay quiet so I think I'll leave it but now I know what it could be in the future thankyou for the help

OK no worries, would you now kindly rate the information to you by using the smiley faces below, once done I can continue to answer all further questions on a free of charge basis. Thank You for using JustAnswer and have a great day ~ Ian
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.