Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My stoves elite g500 is making a whirring noise when not cooking

Customer Question

My stoves elite g500 is making a whirring noise when not cooking I have cleaned the fan but think it may be the thermostat where is it in the cooker and how do I replace it and what's the part number please
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ could you give me the model number please it will be on the rating plate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stoves elite g500si model050531075
OK thanks ~ when does this whirring occur and if you stop the fan does it cease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the whirring occurs when it's plugged in but no gas is being used

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ceases when I unplug the cooker then starts again when I plug it back in
OK just to be sure ~ when we talk about the fan I assume we are talking about the square fan on the back of the cooker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can see it going round
OK if you switch off the power, then stick a screwdriver in to jam the fan blades and then switch it on do you still have the whirring? As soon as you are sure its not/or is the fan, switch off the power again !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i put the screwdriver in there was no whirring then i took the screwdriver out and the whirring has started again

OK the problem is then with the fan, just to confirm once again as there are two fans in this oven there is the one in the oven and the square one mounted on the back panel ~ we are talking about the back panel square fan yes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is the one in the oven?

There according to the diagram for this model is one in the bottom main oven behind the internal rear panel which is used during fan oven operation. Doesn't matter too much if the one at the back is the one causing the noise. Just looking up the number for you of the back panel ~ its not listed on the parts list, just getting it from Stoves be right back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so are we getting to the bottom of this what's causing the whirring

Yes the faulty component is the fan unit that you stopped with your screwdriver, I am trying to get the part number from Stoves at the moment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does cleaning it out more than i've already done help because i didn't take the unit off just cleaned it with a toothbrush and i can see the fanblades are clean ?

It is not the fan blades that cause the problem it is the central bearing that is worn and starting to be noisy. It comes as a complete fan assembly and its only a case of removing the old one and replacing with new. I'm just waiting for Stoves to call me back and I'll let you have the part number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

normally it switches off after a little while will replacing this fan solve this shut off as well?

Ah is it the whirring that is causing you the problem or the fact that the fan doesn't stop after you have shut down the oven? If the latter then that is a totally different fault and will require a different part. Which of the two is it or is it both ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

as i said at the beginning the oven is whirring after i have stopped cooking and doesn't switch off

OK got it, as you will be aware it is normal for the fan to continue for up to 20 minutes after you have switched off the cooker, so your point that it continued whirring after shut off was not noted until you mentioned it continued up to the point that you switched off the power. I will get you the part number for the correct item as soon as Stoves return to me,.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok now it appears that the grill whirrs when the door is open and stops when shut, i have switched the oven on to number 9 for a few minutes then turned gas off but there's no whirring from the oven now with the grill and oven doors shut

The way that it works is that the fan will be switched on when the main oven is at about 100+C, it will remain on until the oven temperature reduces to below this. The part number of the item you require is###-##-####and its called a thermal switch (it is not a thermostat) it is available from the following ~ http://www.stoves.co.uk/customer-care/ if you contact them on their 0844 number they will take your order, they have about 140 in stock ~ Would you now kindly rate the information supplied to you using the smiley faces below, this allows me to close down the job on the system whilst letting you ask further questions if required. Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have paid £20 for this if i am totally satisfied but didn't see i could have a free trial what's actually happened because i don't want a membership, this is a one off what are my options

I'm sorry, we UK based engineers have nothing to do with payment or free trials this is looked after by those at JustAnswer HQ in America ~ you can send an email to them via the contact us section either at the top right or bottom of this page and they will attend to your query. Sorry I cant be more helpful, the operation is controlled by HQ ~~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this has been very misleading at the beginning it said only pay on 100% satisfaction and i'm not because the fact at the beginning said the whirring happened when no cooking was being done, that was missed so i want the £20 back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do i get the refund it's very misleading when it said refund if not satisfied

What you actually said is 'whirring noise when not cooking' which is completely different to 'it is whirring when the appliance is switched on and remains that way until switched off at the oven mains power switch' as previously explained, if you had been cooking previously it would continue to have the fan running for up to 20 minutes. You further suggested that you thought it was a thermostat problem which was also incorrect. Now it may have taken me a short period to establish what the actual problem was but this in no way detracts from us finally reaching the correct conclusion and me giving you the part number and where to get the item. This is the way the system works, I ask various questions and depending upon your answers diagnose where the fault lies. Now you may have a problem with your free trial or even the £20 that you have paid but I have explained what you have to do there also. If on the other hand you just don't want to pay having received the correct information then let me know and I will pass on your complaint to the site moderator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i need a thermal switch not a thermostat where does that fit in the cooker i want to do it myself

Once you have purchased the thermal switch and have it to hand, come back to me and I will explain where it fits and how to fit it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok will do that then i will be satisfied

OK give me a ping on here when you have the part and we can finish off the job. Speak to you soon ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi ian , i had a reply that now says i can't fit the part myself so you can't help me with fitting it after all , not good

I don't understand, who has said you cant fit the part yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ian,please check back through the conversation ,

Perhaps you could clarify and be more specific I cannot find anywhere in our conversation where I have said you cant fit the part ?? Its an easy enough job to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it was from stoves sales spares i asked for a manual and where this part is located and how to fit it ,they said. Thank you for getting in touch.

I am sorry but we would not supply fitting instructions for any parts as we would advise a qualified engineer should fit them, they would know what they were doing when fitting the part.

Please find a handbook for your appliance attached.i need to go out now so will be back in touch later,

Well what did you actually expect them to say, this is normal procedure as they have a duty of care to ensure that the person that they supply parts to is competent. Asking for a manual so that you can locate where the part fits was a dead giveaway.

However, once again you seem to be trying to circumvent the JA system - so that you can refuse to make payment for the information supplied to this point. I have therefore decided that until such time as a suitable rating is given for the information provided, I cannot give you further parts listing, an alternative supplier and wiring diagrams.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at the beginning ja "pay if you are 100% satisfied "I paid my £20 asked for a manual got that good needed the cooker diagram diagram not there bad . got told the part I needed good, then told it was an easy job to fit it , good then told I can't fit it bad. Would you be 100% satisfied with that, all I know is the part but not how to fit it , how can anyone be satisfied with 50% I don't work like that and wouldn't get paid you've got paid 100% anyway this has made me very wary of these types of operations
Quite incorrect if you read the terms and conditions of your offer you see that you have to pay for the first request the next is free. You didn't ask for a manual you wanted a part number and how to fix it. You have already been told the part number and what you have to replace. Finally, I have not received any payment at all, also in the conditions, I don't get paid unless you rate me OK or above, so far all you have done is try and get a freebie twice To quote your statement 'I don't work that way' neither do I - I have given up my time to give you the information, checked that Stoves had the part (at my cost) and am saying this, if I came to your house and diagnosed the problem and then you still decided to do it yourself I would bill you £50 for calling me out and if you didn't pay would amend your credit listing ~ now the balls in your court, I can assist further but looking at what you have tried to do so far I will only do it once you have rated me OK or above. The choice is yours, I have already advised the site controller that I think you are trying to get the call answered for free so its a 'no pay no play' situation. You seem to mix up GDHA and JA, yes you got a manual but not from me or JA, You were told by GDHA that you couldn't fix it ~ not by me or JA so all your negatives above revolve around GDHA who sussed out that you weren't competent straight away not me or JA ~ I already knew but was still prepared to help you. I'm sure if the boot was on the other foot you would concede that I am being fair and reasonable. However its totally up to you.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.

You can get the part you require by using the following like and inputting the part number already given ~~ http://www.spares4appliances.co.uk/search ~~

If you are buying from the above link a discount might be available.. When you get to the Checkout page.. To the left of the 'Pay by Card' button there is a link to allow you to enter a discount code.. Click on it and enter the discount code id1975 to get a discount.