George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My wife has just taken a load of washing out of our

Customer Question

My wife has just taken a load of washing out of our Hotpoint WMSL521 machine and everything is covered in black stuff and there is a thick black sludge in the front door seal?
I think it is a supposedly self cleaning machine so i wonder if it is build-up of some kind that has suddenly got back into the machine?
I guess my question is a) is it worth getting someone out to repair it and b) how much might that cost vs buying a new one?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can I ask you to open the door of the appliance and check to see if there is any upwards/downwards movement of the metal inner drum.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,
There is no movement of the drum.
Can you remove the kick-panel at the lower front of the machine and (using a thick towel under the front of the appliance) remove the filter to check for any debris or foreign objects... If there are any, remove them and after cleaning the filter, replace it..

Return to me once this is done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George.
This may have to wait until I get home from work this eve and can have a look at this as my wife doesn't want to get involved!
I hope thAts still ok to get a response from you then?

That is fine.. I will be available later.. Just ping me on here and I shall resond as soon as I am able

regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George,
Apologies for not getting back to you, have a minor emergency last night so didn't get round to looking at the washing machine!
I have just taken the filter out there wasn't really anything in there. Some water came out and there was a small amount of dirt but nothing else.
Let me know what you think.
Can you ask your wife if she is using liquid or powder, and what temperature she mainly washes at.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We always use liquid and most of the time 40 degrees with the occasional 60 degree or hot wash....
Ok.. I'm going to suggest that therein lies most, if not all, of the problem you have... The dark sludge is indemic of use of liquid detergent at low temperatures..

The creation of the sludge is due to the liquid detergent sticking to the side of the outer drum and then accumulating with each wash.

The low temperatures allow the detergent to stick to the drum without getting washed away.

The combination of the two, together with an enclosed damp area such as a washing machine drum allows bactirior to form and grow on this sludge to create the black smelly sludge that you see on the door seal.

Resolve: You can clean away the current sludge in the tank innards and solve the re-development of the sludge by putting the appliance on the hottest wash possible, with nothing in the tub, and do this several times. Then do it one last time using a proprietory clening agent such as affresh. Also, it will help prevent the bacterior growth in the future if you leave the door ajar after use.

As for the door seal; you can use a mldew spray on the mould on the seal, but I doubt that there is much you can do to save the seal and it therefore may need changing...

At this point I will ask you to rate the assistance given ... but by all means, once rated, feel free to return to discuss this problem further... And if you wish to replace the seal following the cleaning of the drum, then I can then suggest an engineer to call upon you if you wish.

regards
George
Hi Alasdair,

I notice that you have received and read the advice given, but have not responded or rated the assistance.

I'd like to ask you to rate the assistance as this is the only way that I can get credited for assisting you with dealing with the problem you have.

regards
George
Cost of replacement door seal is approximately £20 + Labour to fit it as opposed to approx £240 replacement