George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

WM 1512 S. Not putting in smell freshner.The washing cycle

Customer Question

WM 1512 S. Not putting in smell freshner.The washing cycle appears to be OK. Have cleaned detergent/freshner drawer and tube at back left. Have used a machine chemical cleaner.
Regards ***** *****
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.

Hello David, my name is George..

Can you tell me... Are you using powder or liquid detergent, and what is the most frequent washing telmperatures you are utilising?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Using liquid detergent & freshner. Either use 40 or 60 degrees.

Thank you for confirming your usage specifications...

Can you remove the kick-panel at the lower front of the machine and (using a thick towel under the front of the appliance) remove the filter to check for any debris or foreign objects... If there are any, remove them and after cleaning the filter, replace it..

Return to me once this is done
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Muck in filter

Final question David... Is your waste-pipe from your washing machine connected to the drain underneath the sink, or does it drain through another means?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It drains through another pipe the opposite side of the kitchen. There was only about a cupfull of water that flowed out when I unscrewed the filter.

Up to a few days ago the freshner section emptied in to the clothes. and as a result the clothes smelt of the freshner.. The water appears to be going out when a wash is in progress.

Brownlow..

Ok David.. all sounds well with the appliance with the exception of the problem you have with the appliance not dispersing the freshening liquid.

When you say that the appliance is "Not putting in smell freshner"... One of two things is happening.. either:

• 1. The appliance is feeding water into the conditioning/freshening compartment but the liquid is not leaving the compartment
  • or
  • 2. The water is not being dispensed into the conditioning/freshening compartment

If it is the first instance, then there is a blockage in the syphon of the dispenser drawer; this is the blue part in the conditioning/freshening compartment.. Remove it, clean the blockage out of the syphon tube at the rear end of it and replace it; then all should be well again.

If it is the latter, then you have a problem with the inlet valve of the appliance and if this is the case then the inlet valve will likely need to be changed

At this point I need to ask you to please rate the assistance given - Once rated, I will be available to assist you further with this issue if needed and possible

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It could be either 1 or 2.

I have cleaned out the drawer and the blue area. I have also cleaned the tube going in to the machine at the back left. I obviously took out the drawer to clean the vertical tube going in to the machine.

However it appears that the water is getting in to wash out the detergent as that compartment is empty after a wash, but the conditioning/refreshment part remains full of liquid.

If it is the inlet valve then would water get in for detergent, but not for the conditioner?

How much is an inlet valve? Also how easy is it to change if you are certain that is the problem. Where is the valve situated? Is it easy to change?

Brownlow

Depending on the type of dispenser tray your appliance has, there is possibly a third cause, so we can not yet say if there is a problem with the valve...

We need to turn the appliance on with the drawer removed... watch the positions in which the water falls.. Rotate the dial slowly to the area where the appliance would call for conditioner and whilst doing so, watch where the water falls (Does it fall in the area of the conditioning/freshening compartment or does it fall in the same area all the time?)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for delay. This is what happens with water being pumped in to the dispenser area:-

Position 1: Water in on RHS Under pressure

Position2: Water in on RHS Under Pressure

Position 3: Nothing

Position 4 : Nothing

Position 5: Water in centre but only slowly. Not much pressure

THEN Centre under pressure

Position 6 :Water on RHS under pressure

Position 7 :Water on RHS under pressure

On First Trial

Position 8: Water on RHS under pressure

Position 9: Water on RHS under pressure

Position 10:Water on Centre under pressure

Position 11: Water on centre under pressure

SECOND TRIAL

Position 8,9,10,11,12 NOTHING

As you can see it appears that no water is pumped in to LHS.

Also it appears that the programmer might not be working correctly from 8 onwards.

I suspect that the programmer electronics are US. On one earlier occasion some water was pumped in to LHS.

Sorry about confusion.

How much is the circuit board/ electronics and or timer if that is what you may now think it is&

How easy are they to fit?

Does it need an expert to change them?

If it is a DIY job how can a householder do it.

BROWNLOW

Thank you for that marvelously indepth description David..

The results of the test that you have completed are noted and lead me to ask you to check something else. Can you take off the lid of the appliance and check the following things:

1. Does the appliance have two single inlet valves, or does it have a single and a double inlet valve?

2. Has the Water Distribution String come out of its nest on the top of the Detergent Dispenser, or is its spring broken?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****

Machine has 2 inlets in back.

When I tried to pull string it appeared to be tight & not move. When I pulled harder there was a bang and string was free.

Now water is injected in to LHS front & back only. ie the control lever above drawer is constantly turned to back. Not moving as controller is altered.

The string is not fully returning in to area behind front facia near controller.

Which slot on top of detergent drawer should the string be fed through? At present it is in first from front.

I presume I have either broken spring or something else behind front board near controller.

Dial controller still works but won't go past some of the letters unless I pull string.

How do I get at spring & dial controller?

Is spring easy to fit. What is it called?

Which slot should the spring pass through on top of drawer when I fit another spring.

What is controller called if I have broken something on it rather than breaking or pulling off spring?

***** *****low

Hi David..

Then it is possible that the string had an issue and was jammed, possibly due to either a damaged cam follower or spring.

This is an issue that you can not deal with yourself.. You'll need an engineer to dismantle the components and determine which is at fault. The engineer will need to replace the faulty part and then set the machine up so that it works correctly in the detergent dispenser compartment

It is not usual to break something unless you either used excessive force, or most likely, there was already some damage causing the issue in the first instance.