Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I tried to remove some ice inside my freezer (very carefully)

I tried to remove some ice inside my freezer (very carefully) but I have caused a small chip on the white rubbery material which covers the thin piping which forms part of the shelving holding the shelves up. No gas escaped and freezer appears to be working fine and it is only a small chip but the metal underneath is exposed. What can I put over this or should I just leave it alone?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the make and model number please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It just says Bosch KIV38V integrated fridge/freezer

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that.

As long as its not piecred the evaporator then it should be fine. If its just the cover thats chipped then what you can do is smooth a bit of silcon over the chipped part just make sure theres not ruff bits thats can get caught.

But other then that just leave it and it will be fine. Best not to hack at these again in the past. Ive seen some many of this were they piecre the evaporator and its game over then.

Best to either leave it to defrost itself or place bowls of boling water on each shelve and that can speed it up a bit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you mean just normal bathroom silicon sealant type thing or is it a special type of silicon?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Yes thats normall food grade so will be fine. Its just to smooth it out.