Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

My Ignis AKL 914 lower oven will not turn on. When I turn the

My Ignis AKL 914 lower oven will not turn on. When I turn the function knob to fan oven, the display shows '- - - C'. I may have, inadvertently, pressed a wrong combination of buttons. Can you help, please?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for choosing Just Answer.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.
How old is your oven?
Also were there any power cuts or electrical storms locally recently just prior to this event?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The oven is about four years old. There was a power cut earlier in the day but it seemed to be working fine after that. The trouble started when I was trying to correct the time. But If I did anything wrong, I don't know what that was.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jean, please try something for me its sort of a test.
Please turn power off at the mains to the oven and wait 20 full minutes.
Then turn it back on and let me know if that helps?
If so and all is back to normal please rate my service kindly at that time.
But if it still has issues, please don't rate yet. But simply reply to me for further information.
Thank you Jean.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael - Switched off at the mains - twice! - but no improvement. The display still shows - - - C as soon as I turn on the function knob.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Jean for trying that.
Unfortunately this is a problem that happened due to the power cut. Sometimes when power is restored there will be a power surge and that can hurt delicate electronics. It is detrimental to these things.
You will need a new clock control unit to fix this.
The part is pretty easy to replace if you have some basic hand tools, I would help you if you decide to do this yourself. There is no soldering required just a few wired plugs that to to the control board.
It would save a bit on labor if you replace it yourself but this is something you may want to call an appliance service tech in to do this for you.
The part you need is the main control for the oven and its pretty expensive. The best place to get that would be this website:
http://www.buyspares.co.uk/
But I would call them for faster service and cost update.
BuySpares
Order by Phone 0844(###) ###-####
You may elect to simply replace the oven but thats up to you.
I will be here to help until you have this working properly again.
I will stick with you in case you need me further, you can reach me after rating at no additional cost .
please be sure to rate my answer kindly at this time before closing this page.
It won't cost you anything additional to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost and you can always get in touch with me if you need further help;-)
Thank you Jean and have a great day I wish I had better news for you on this I really do.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Michael

I have been a while in replying because I've been thinking about what you said. I can now see you are quite right. The timer mechanism is broken - absolutely. I was looking to your suggestion of getting a new clock control item but I see from the Ignis website none of their current timers are compatible with my model.

So, as you suggested might be necessary, I have now decided to buy a new oven.

Thank you for your help. You were clear - and, sadly for me, right in your diagnosis.

J S E