George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Bosch NST 615 Ceramic hob. As of yesterday, although

I have a Bosch NST 615 Ceramic hob. As of yesterday, although all of the individual hotplate controls are seemingly active and register a selected setting, none of the four hotplates actually heat up. What is the problem and can I fix it?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you let me know the complete Enr of the hob... It will be both on the underneather of the appliance and on the documentation/handbook/receipts

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

E-Nr. NST615FEU / 02 FD 8001 007557

Thanks for that Hedley,give me a few moments whilst I check the structure of your appliance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK

Can you tell me what you mean by "seamingly active"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I activate the 'Stand-by' pad, the indicator light illuminates, I set the 'Plus' pad for an any one of the four hotplates to, say, 9. The associated setting indicator registers '9' but the hotplate remains cold.

Then the problem will be with the wiring between the control module and the pc board or with the pc board itself.

Are you safe and competent to dismantle the hob and check the wiring/connections between the two boards.. or do you feel you would need the services of an appliance engineer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not that competent.

What are the odds that a summoned appliance engineer will be able to fix the problem? Am I best advised to avoid the call-out charge and pay £300 for a replacement hob? Advise please.

With the right parts and engineer would be able to repair the appliance... The issue could be a bad connection, broken wire, bad or badly seated relay, where cost will be minimised.

However, due to the age of the appliance there is the likelyhood is that the pc board may be gone and that has a cost of £241.99 from Bosch. It would in that circumstance be advisable to replace the appliance

Please remember to rate my assistance to you today... I will be available for further discussion if you need it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the info - my betting is that I will be told that a replacement pc is necessary so, rather than calling an appliance engineer, I will purchase a new hob. Is the Bosch PKE61D17E the present day equivalent and, if so, will it fit into the existing cut out in the worktop?

Hello again Hedley,

I am an appliance engineer, and as such only deal with faults/repair advice.

The information you have just requested will be best given by the Bosch Customer Services - Product Advice line on #0***-***-**** where they will be able to access the appliance database to find an appliance with an equivelent size to the one you are thinking of replacing.

Please rate the assistance given to you today.. This is the only way I can get credited for assisting you today
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your advice.

You're very welcome Hedley