Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

BURGLAR ALARM QUESTION

BURGLAR ALARM QUESTION I have installed a new AZTECH AZ-220 bell box as per instructions, it is wired correctly ( I think! the previous unit was an older aztech which had to be replaced following storm damage), and went to muted state when activated, however I can get no response from a function test from the panel for strobe or sounder), and the LEDs indicate that the unit is still in muted state even though I have 13.7V at the terminals in the box, the only function working is the tamper switch. Is the unit defective or is there another test I can try?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for choosing Just Answer.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.
I am very familiar with this system, I would suspect a defect in this case as the first cause of the problem because this is a simple hook up and you likely did that all correctly;-)
But if you do have an issue once you replace the unit please let me know. I will stick with you in case you need me further, you can reach me after rating at no additional cost .
please be sure to rate my answer kindly at this time before closing this page.
It won't cost you anything additional to rate and I will be with you at no additional cost and you can always get in touch with me if you need further help;-)
Thank you and have a great weekend;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there any test I can make to the unit, before I go out and buy another?

As I bought the unit by mail I would like to be absolutely sure before I throw even more money away sending it back so that somebody can throw it in the bin!

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Niall, yes if you have a meter, you could check to see if when the alarm is triggered, you would check for DC voltage at the alarm terminals where the actual box connects you should read 12 volts DC. Thats the only check really. that would tell you if the alarm system is outputting the signal to turn on the Bell box, but it likely will do that, its just the one you happen to have gotten seems to be defective because it shouldn't be in mute especially when initially set. It is supposed to automatically kick off the mute feature. I'm sure its just one bad unit as these are typically very goo units at least from a reliability standpoint;-)
I'm pretty sure the replacement will work fine for you, but let me know if you still have an issue then.
Please rate kindly at this time before you close then I can stay with you if you need me further simply reply to this message when you have questions for me about this system, no additional cost to you;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I said in my initial question, I have 13.7V at the bell box terminals, as I understand it, the 12V DC voltage into the box is constant and the panel switches it on at the two returns for the strobe and sounder for an alarm trip. The maintained voltage 'holds off' the boxes own 6V anti-tamper response, but only once it is activated by the higher voltage from the panel, am I correct in this assumption? If I am right then, the box must be faulty.

Yes they are very reliable, the last one was working just fine right up until a falling tree knocked it off h the wall it was on!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,

Niall

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Niall, your very welcome, the 12 VDC is approximate ;-)
Please rate kindly before you go.
Have a wonderful weekend and please let me know ho it goes.
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.