George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Zanussi ZWG 1140M, switch on power, turn dial to selected programme,

Customer Question

Zanussi ZWG 1140M, switch on power, turn dial to selected programme, push on button, works as it should do for 10 to 20 seconds and shuts down. No LED screen, no power, stopped. Leave for two or three minutes start again exactly as before!!! Any suggestions please? (printable ones please) Thanks
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you give the PNC / Product number from label on the inside of the door opening please.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello George,

Thank you for your time and trying to help me. In answer to your question about PNC/Product number, there are no numbers, labels or plates on the inside, or outside of the door or frame. I bought the machine from a main retailer back in 2010, it had no number labels on it then. There are three different paper adhesive 'bar-code' labels stuck to various parts on the inside of the machine. Other than that all that I can find is the make and model number on front of the machine, ZWG 1140M is shown on the right hand side and 'ZANUSSI' above '6Kg 1400rpm' on the left. The LED screen is situated roughly in the middle.

I understand it may take a while to get an answer back to me which I fully understand. If I can get it sorted out and working eventually it might save my old lady from chasing me down the street. Thank you again George for your time.

Graham Simmons, Maidstone, Kent, UK.

Hello Graham,

There are five versions of thos model, all released withing six months of eachother between Oct 2009 and Apr 2010. All are allmost identical.

Can you put the appliance onto a spin only program and let me know if the same problem happens please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George, sorry for the delay in replying, I can't get back home until the evening for the next few weeks which is the first chance I get to catch up. I followed your instruction and put the appliance on a spin only programme. The drum started to fill with water and this went on for more than twenty seconds, then it just shut down again like someone switched the power off. ( I thought for a moment you had it beat ). Thank you. Any other thoughts gratefully received, I'll try anything. Hear from you when you can, Graham.

Thank you Graham..

I take it that was a Rinse/Spin program... Can you try it again but on a Spin Only program cutting out the Rinse.

Is there an acrid smell at any point when it shuts down?

I do have an assumption on this and it is rearing its head... It seems to me that the higher the power draw, the faster the cut-out... or that the more call on the motor is causing the problem

I assume from the test that you did that the heater is NOT the cause and that the cause is now located in either one of the power up group, or the motor.

If it does not complete the spin only test, an you try it again but on a Spin Only program but as soon as the rotaion of the drum starts, PAUSE the appliance and wait at least 2 mins to see what happens.

At this point I ask you to rate the assistance given so far... Once rated I will continue with you on finding the solution to the problem.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Details below
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George, does my appliance have a separate timing device that could mess the cycle up? When I turn the front dial to any programme and leave it with the time showing in the LED screen for fifteen or so seconds the power goes off just the same. I have tried each programme separately and the same thing happens. There are no signs of scorching anywhere and no burning or acrid smells. The only strange thing I've noticed is when the dial is turned to 'Main Wash Only' the LED time shows '1min' which I'm sure must be wrong. All the others seem about right. Would you know that if you think it could be a timing fault, is there a separate timer, or would it be part of the main circuit board? Thank you George, I appreciate your patience on this, if I had not contacted you I think the appliance would now be tin cans. Kind regards, Graham.

Can you check the plug socket and plug is ok and we'll go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have tested the plug and the socket and both check out. Replaced the fuse in the plug with a new one, still the same.

Hi Graham, the fact that it only shows 1 min on main wash indicates to me that it has either not finished its program or that the pcb is defective...

What happens if you turn it to the main wash and press the start button... Does the door lock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George, I turned the dial to the main wash, pressed the start button and the door locked, water was going in, the drum started turning, then the power stopped and a black screen, ten seconds later I heard the click of the door, which I could now open with little water in the drum as it had only run for ten to twelve seconds. I've tried all the programmes and they all seem to start their cycle, but then they all shut down after a few moments varying from four or five seconds up to fifteen/sixteen seconds.!!

How confident are you at testing electrics Graham?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George, just got back today so missed last days contact. Regarding me testing electrics, I have rewired a few houses which is mainly single phase stuff and I've soldered up a few radios and TV's. I can test out the circuitry of the machine if you can guide me to the hopeful area, but I'm no electronics engineer. By now you will probably realise I'll try anything once and see how it goes. With your genius and my stupidity, I'm sure we can get something out of this machine, even if it is only a load of old tin cans. You're going to have to keep me updated on the 'bill', as I can guess this is not earning you a living so far. Thanks, ***** ***** Graham

Hi Graham, welcome back..

Can you use a multi meter or test probe to tell me if you are getting power to the board or door lock wires once the screen goes blank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George, with a test probe there is power to the board and the door lock when the screen goes blank. To make sure there is no power leakage I also tested both again when the mains were switched on but the dial was in the off position, and as expected there was power to the board but the door lock wires were negative.

Graham, I am going to put my neck in the noose and say that capacitor the incoming powerline is defective and dropping the power to a degree that the board cannot run. If you have a capacitance tester, you could take the capacitor off the pcb and test it, then replace it if necessary.. But it certainly seems to be the board to me.. If it were the door lock it would not take out the screen.