Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I've just purchased a zanussi 8kg jet system washer dryer

Hi I've just purchased a zanussi 8kg jet system washer dryer ZKN7147 J
I would usually use the dryer to "iron" the kids clothes, the clothes are dry when I put them in and on my previous zanussi washer dryer I selected the cottons drying time and put them on for 15/20 mins, took them out folded them and put the away. This new washer dryer seems to wet the clothes first? Even when I select drying time. I actually hear the water going into the drum - can you tell me why this is happening?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ OK let me explain how a washer dryer works in practice in the drying cycles. Firstly a heater comes on in the top of the dryer section of the appliance which together with a fan motor circulates warm/hot air through the clothes. This changes the air from being dry cold air into hot moisture laden air (it is extracting the moisture out of the clothes). Some means is required to change the moisture droplets in this air back into water and then a process of removing it from the washing machine. Now visualise a pipe (called a condenser chamber in the trade) that allows this moisture laden hot air to travel in an upward direction whilst spraying cold water in the opposite downward direction. (Once again think what you get if you put a cold spoon across the steam coming out of a kettle, you get the steam condensing on the cold spoon back to water). Every few minutes water is injected at the top of this pipe and as it passes the warm air travelling in the opposite direction it picks up the moisture and leaves the dry air which then passes through the heater and fan at the top and the cycle starts again. The water is pumped out of the drain pipe as this is going on ~ and so the clothes dry. I hope you can visualise the system this is why you can hear water going in to the machine and also the drain pump pumping the extracted water out and down the drain ~ Ian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ian but I'm still at a loss to why this wasn't the case with my previous washer dryer ­čś× for me it simply means I now have to iron everything, and I'm not getting "value" from my washer dryer

Well having explained how the system works I can only suggest that you go back to the manufacturer and tell them that you are unhappy with their product and see what they have to say ~ as it is relatively new I wouldn't advise you to get anyone else involved as you may invalidate your warranty - if it is days old I would suggest you request an exchange ~ would you now kindly rate the information supplied to you using the smiley faces below, this lets me close down the job whilst allowing you further questions on a foc basis ~ thanks for the question - Ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.