Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a loose door handle on Rangemaster RBC60 beverage centre.

Customer Question

I have a loose door handle on Rangemaster RBC60 beverage centre. I can't find any bolts on inside of door to separate the outer door casing from the the inner door frame. There is It appears that the door seal and plastic trim that includes the door seal groove need to be removed but I can't see how to do that without damaging the plastic trim.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for choosing Just Answer.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.
To access the screws that affix the handle to the door, you need to carefully pry out the seal I use a dental pick for this so it wont cause too much damage to the seal;-)
But you may need to replace the seal if it gets too bad.
Also sometimes its just as easy to pry the doors inner panel out with the seal intact, but its best to remove the seal this way with the pick and a screwdriver. Once the doors inner panel is off you should remove the door handle screws and apply a drop of thread locker like blue Loctite to the threads on the screws before re tightning. That will prevent this problem from happening again;-)
I will stick with you until your unit is working correctly,and it won't cost you anything additional to rate my service. You can always get in touch with me if you need further assistance after rating;-)
Thank you and have a nice day;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for your help.

The door seal is in a very narrow channel in a wider section of plastic trim that returns back onto the the door glass. The seal is easy to remove and reinsert into its channel. The bolt/screw heads for the door handle are not in the door seal channel. I suspect that the complete plastic trim needs to be removed to access the handle screw, however it is firmly fixed into the metal door casing and it looks as if it will be completely damaged during the process of removing it, although that if true seems to be an odd design.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nigel, yes you are correct about all of that. But it seems that is common construction for a lot of devices these day including microwave ove doors.
The reason I think goes with that things these days were not really meant to be fixed but rather they would like us to throw it out when it fails as stupid as that is. Not to run at the mouth but even printers, NICE ONES TOO, less that $ 100.0 but when they run out of ink, its almost as much to buy ink than it is to simply replace the whole printer loll;-)
I wsh there were a better solution but thats what needs to be done to tighten the loose handle.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and thanks for the pics.
Please remember to rate my service before closing this page and have a great day Nigel;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't believe that you have answered my problem. Actually you haven't answered my question. In your first answer you said remove the seal to reveal the handle screws. I had already said that I can easily remove and reinstall the seal and that doing so is trivial and does not result in any damage to the seal but does not reveal the handle (or any other screws). You seemed to say that I need to remove the seal and doing so will damage it.

Are you actually familiar with my particular beverage centre?

In your second reply you said I was correct but about what? I said several things in my second question).

So are you saying that I need to rip out the whole of the extruded plastic trim that appears to sit inside the metal door housing. (The trim also contains the narrow channel that the door seal sits in). I have tried to prise a corner out but it just tears along the edges and leaves the majority of the trim still firmly embedded in the door frame. So I can only remove it if I can be sure that I can get a replacement otherwise this expensive appliance will be junk.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nigel, what I am saying is that the door really isnt meant or made to be taken apart. Unfortunately the expect you to replace the whole door as removing th eplastic will damage the door a bit. Ususally if you are careful it wont be too noticable but that doing this yourself not being an appliance repair tech who does this all the time like I do is rather difficult and will result in more cosmetic damage than a person who has to deal with this on an almost daily basis is all Im saying.
Normally the part you need to remove(plastic trim) is not glued in place but it sounds like this one is for some reason.
In this case it will be a pain to get it off depending on how much and what they used as adhesive.
I wish I had a better solution for you I really do.
Please let meknow if I can help you further with this and please rate kindly, you wont lose contact with me until this is complete and you are satisfied;-)
Thanks Nigel;-)
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You were completely wrong! There are grub screws on the underside of the handle top and bottom door attachments. They allow the handle to be removed thus giving access to enable the handle brackets to be tightened. Your answers would have resulted in certain totally unecessary damage requiring a new door. Despite me asking you to confirm, you had no knowledge or understanding of this appliance. Very poor service and a rip-off of 16UKP.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nigel, Im sorry I couldnt see that they had made a handle with grub screws on it. The older style ones didnt have those. Im happy you solved th problem and wish I could have been more helpful.
Have a great day Nigel!