Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have bought a second hand lg grl207eq american style

Customer Question

Hi, i have bought a second hand lg grl207eq american style fridge freezer. It was delivered yesterday and i have leftbit overnight (24hours) we did have to remove the doors to get it in our property but followed instructions. But when plugged in nothing happens no motor or fan noises. When i press the water button the light inside that comes on but no other lights at all
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries~ let me have a quick look at the specs and I'll be right back ~ firstly can you confirm that YOU actually saw this appliance working? - Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes i did

OK first things first you need to check that the electrical connections that you disconnected when you removed the door are firstly the correct way around and secondly that the pins are all firmly pushed into the socket on the door top ~ Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im informed by the other half that yes they are all correct way round ( he said they can only go one way round) and yep pushed in

That is true but it is possible for the pins not to go into their sockets because the mouldings are not very well made ~ secondly if you go on to the top where the main pcb is (below its cover) there is a test button that you can use to reset the electronics should you have disturbed them during the move. Firstly though check that you have continuity through the door top plug as this is the only thing that you have disconnected during its movement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive just checked the sockets on top and can confirm they are all pushed in correcty. When u say under the cover i assume thats the one that says do not remove ha ha but will give it a go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive had a look at the wires into the door amd all seem ok
You have it, but make sure that you have continuity thro the plugs first because sometimes the pins break off or the wires come loose. If you lose the interface between the front panel and the main pcb then nothing works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive checked all wires all seem ok, wheni push the ice maker thenlight there comes on? All internal lights in the fridge and freezer dont tho so should i try the reset in that top bit? My other half said when he unscrews it there board inside appears attached to the cover?

Unplug the appliance, then you should be able to wiggle the pcb out sometimes they have fitted a cable clamp to the main power input to the board when it goes into the cover.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you ok to wait until the morning? As i had no idea of the time! The other half is already sick of the fridge freezer so its down to me to sort haha so i will get on it in the mornin
No worries, you may have to leave it until later in the day as Im moving my daughter to a new house during the day, should be finished by about 5pm ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Speak soon, good luck with the move!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi I am Tech Michael, so your fridge seems completly dead is that correct? Is there any warranty with it? Also have you verified power is actually at the outlet with a lamp or somthing else? Im sorry I pressed the Answer button by mistake no need to rate anything as of yet ;-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, not completely dead no, there is a light that comes on if i press as if i were to press for ice/water so theres power to it. no warranty etc its second hand

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also to Ian, ive taken top cover off and found a small button

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that information. This going to be the main control board that is bad.
There is no other fuses in this unit Im afraid.
That board is easy to replace but is a bit pricey.
I will help you do this if you need me no extra cost;-)
The best place to get that board is Espares, its best to call them for this : 0844 9777 888.
I will stick with you until your unit is working correctly,and it won't cost you anything additional to rate my service. You can always get in touch with me if you need further assistance after rating;-)
Thank you and have a great weekend;-)
Please rate kindly at this time before closing this page;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont understand why it was working and simply moving it has caused the main control board to go bad?!?!

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, one thing about electronics like this is there are transormers on the board. and when they are left plugged in for a long period of time, and this goes for TV's etc, they are actually live inside. The internal power supplies are running all the time even when the appliance is not being used. Thats ok, but when the board componets heat up as they will in normal operation, the parts flex including the circuit boards and that is ok. Until you turn them off for a while. Then the parts like transformers and boards flex back in the otherdirection and eventually cause damge internally to the parts like wire wound components that the varnish has become brittle over time due to the heat. I hope this make some sense to you.
There a lot to this. Unfortunately they dont sell the parts for these circuit board alone. They sell only the boards in their completed stage built and ready to run.
Please let me know if you need further hlep with this I will be here when you have the board to help with installation, although on this one its pretty straightforward with no soldering required, just plug in connectors;-)
Please rate kindly no additional cost for that and I will continue with you until your fridge is operational once again.
Thank you and have a great day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so if the main board has gone would the light in the ice bit still work?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes that is very possible. That is about the only thing that would work especially if the board has failed the way it did.
Did you press the test button as I suggested yesterday? If so what did the appliance do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, yes i pressed it...absolutely nothing happened

OK don't do anything just yet, I have a 207 outside in our workshops, will have a look tomorrow and see what pcb we have fitted to it and I'll see if I can find my old LG engineers handbook and we can go through the test procedure. I was concerned at the start of our conversation that there might be a pcb issue which is why I asked if you had seen it working prior to moving it. Leave it with me and I'll speak with you again tomorrow ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you Ian, i really do appreciate your help. as i say the only working light is the water/ice dispenser light when u push it as if gettin a glass of water

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Its Sunday so there really is no harm in doing any tests, but you are going to find the board simply needs replacing as parts for the board arent available unfortunately. I wish there were.
But I will stick with you until the fridge is running;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will give it a go!

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I used to assembley these new lol , so I know quite a bit abouth em;-)
Thank you and have a nice Sunday;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

am just waiting for the test procedures

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thas fine, Dale is a good tech as well;-)If you dont receive a reply from him on this please rate kindly and I will stick with you until we have this board replaced and the fridge running as it should.

Have a nice Sinday;-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, am happy to wait ...the appliance is not going anywhere just yet

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks loll,
also it wont cost you anything to rate, but it will help you not to get bombarded with too many replies from techs who arent working on this with you ;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Smile

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, both he and I will still be in contact with you after you rate as well;-) And you can still contact us at any time;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if its ok, ill hang fire on rates incase some one else has any sudden ideas

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, it still is a good idea to rate my service as it will keep you in the loop. But im sure this is your problem, i wish it werent.
Also the only way I receive any credit for my time is if you tte favorably and it wont cost you anything additional to rate.
So please kindly rate at this time;-)
Thank you and have a great day!
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, so if i rate the service it doesnt stop the help? asit says rate to finish and my problem is still not resolved

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi no, it wont close you out I dont know why they say that. Maybe that was bak int early days, but now you can contact me anytime once you rate and so can any other tech who looks at the question;-)
I hope that helps clear things uo for you.
You can rate with confidence;-)
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hopefully the appliance can be fixed or i might just cry lol

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, in this case I feel for you really. I have to see the customers face in most cases out there in the feild and it sucks to give them this information. But sometimes the problem is a sealed system issue meaning that the tubes either have a clog and that is expensive and time consuming to have done and it needs to be done by a tech. Also if it is a leak, usually if its filled again it will just leak out. And even in many cases the leak will be in an area that is inaccesable and then you wasted money on a repair call for an extimate that just costed you more money ;-(
I was trying to save you that call out fee, but if you really like the fridge, and money is no object anything can be fixed.
I just personally wouldnt do it is all.
I wish you all the best either way you go whether you buy new or try to have that one fixed but let me know how it all goes and you can contact me anytime if there is anything alse I can help you with on this. I would pull the rear wall off inside the freezer just to be certain and I will stick with you in that case. You need to remove the shelves, then you will remove the srews holding th einside back wall in place let me know what you find with the coils there;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

to be certain of what?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

hi sorry I should have been more clear on this for you. I was talking about if you had an appliance tech check this out and verify this for you, instead of taking my advice as I am a 35 year fridge technician is all I was saying;-)

I sent you the wrong message that one was intended for a different issue with a different customers fridge I apologize for that, sometimes this happens;-)

Have agreat Sunday!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, i will speak to the other half about do that later

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, let me know if you need further advice;-)
No additional cost for that.
I'm here until you have your fridge working again normally;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, will keep you updated

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good no further reply is needed until you have more to add;-)
Have a great day.
Unfortunately as you have rated Michael I can no longer help you ~ I wish you well with the repair of your LG appliance ~ good luck. ~~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really? Thats why i asked michael about rating...he said you could still help me? Thats why i didnt want to rate him ! I am now stuck due to this 😭
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really? Thats why i asked michael about rating...he said you could still help me? Thats why i didnt want to rate him ! I am now stuck due to this 😭 i will contact just ask, this is not your fault but i feel michael was wrong to pressurize me to rate and knew what would happen by me doing so, he said i would still be able to deal with you both.mthis is not your fault sorry. Now im left with an appliance that is doing nothing with no help due to his pushing for a rate. Again this is not down to you , you have been great .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Michael, please don't reply to my posts, i have contacted just ask who have advised me to post this owing to the pressure to rate from yourself even after i had said id sooner wait! i am more than happy to await Ians (dale) response and hope he can assist me as he was before. sorry Ian for this situation.I feel bad as Iam new to this page and feel ive been made a fool by Michael.

OK leave this with me and I will get it sorted for you and once this is done we can continue with the testing ~ Im sorry I wasn't around to guide you yesterday; as mentioned I was moving my daughter and things took a little longer than I anticipated and by the time I got back the rating had been given and I couldn't help you further. Not to worry we can reconnect shortly ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Ian, I'm so sorry for this I really did want to leave rating but the subject wouldnt be dropped! Hope all is sorted with your daughters move and again thank you

Yes all done thank the Lord ~ two daughters in two weeks far too much for an old guy like me. Speak to you soon ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, i shall wait for you no worries Smile

OK briefly back, have you access to the main pcb on the top ? If so do you have a multimeter or continuity tester ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, yes i have access and sadly no to either item

OK if you look at the pcb you will see that it has two fuses (contrary to what the other expert suggested) can you confirm that both are intact, Fuse 1 is a long one glass cased 250/15A the other Fuse 2 is soldered in to the pcb.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi sending a pic of said board

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi sending a pic of said board

OK the one that I have is slightly different you yours but if you look in the top right hand corner you will see that you have the positive (brown) and negative (blue) supply and adjacent to that there is fuse 1 (250v 15a) fuse 2 has been removed and a link put in its place. I need you to establish that you have 220v at the positive/negative feed and that the fuse is also good. It may be that you will either have to get a multimeter or have someone with a multimeter check these for me ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, i shall track down a device tomorrow. its funny because i googled the mainboard for my fridge freezer and its completly different to the one i have, found the exact same one on ebay in germany buy has a diff letter at the end of the board! but its identicle to look at . so am i checking the glass fuse and the bit attached to the brown wire? excuse my simplness

No that is fine, both LG & Samsung are nightmares when it comes to these pcbs they are constantly changing the part number and connectors in many cases within the same model. At this time I am still somewhat at a loss to see that only disconnecting one connector would cause the pcb to fail unless you did it when it was connected to the power, once you get a multimeter we can check the wiring and confirm that is good then we can carry out a few more tests ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i shall stop and by a multimeter on way home from work at lunch tomorrow .

OK get one that can test for both ac voltage and has a continuity beeper you can probably get one for about £15 ~ could you also let me have the pcb number and I'll put out a call and see if anyone has one just in case we need it ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

righty i have a multimeter...think its ok? lol im such a girl..it has a continuity buzzer hope its what i need. board number is ***** one ive found that looks identicle is in germany but has a y not and x at the end of the numbers lol

a. Firstly lets use the beeper and check that you have a link between both ends of the fuse ie on probe on one end of the fuse and another on the other end and you should get a beep?

Then check that you have a beep between both sides of the connector in the door ie probe one side of the connector other probe on other side of connector, you should get a beep at every one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

right no laughing at my stupidity...appliance power off yes or no? and i understand the first bit either end of the fuse , the second bit door connector im lost lol

OK firstly these test carried out with the power off ~ take off the cover at the top of the door where the connector that you disconnected is located. When you have this done ping me back I am here now for the rest of the evening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hiya cover is off...with regard to the multimeter i have no clue what settings it needs to be on when testing so will need you to help me ( im a thicko)

OK give me the model number of the multimeter and I can look see how it works ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

lol ok its a silverline 589681

OK assuming you have put the batteries in the multimeter, take the black cable and put its connector in Com, the Red cable goes to V etc. Once done turn the dial so that the pointer is on the segment next to the 200 ohm marking I click right OK so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

batteries in, wires as you said then dial turn to the right ? to the 200?

No to the one one click to the right of the 200 ohm, directly opposite the 500v ac.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the beeper one? lol

Yes that is the one, once you have it at this position you should be able to put the two probe ends together and get a beeping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yup got a beep!

OK first things first, put on probe tip on the end of the pcb fuse mentioned earlier and the other probe tip on the other end of the fuse, you should get a beep?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the glass fuse? if so yep gt a beep

OK now I want you to go to the connector at the top of the door and take a look at the multiway connector, you will see a wire going in one end and another coming out of the other side of the adjacent connector. Take your probe and push it into on slot in the multiway and then take the other probe and push it into the other side adjacent. You will need to do this in every slot and you should get a beep in every one. What you are doing is confirming that you have power passing through the connector one side to the other. As this is the only thing that you have moved this is where we start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so on each of those connectors on the door i test everyone

Yes you have to put the probe in one side of the connector and then the other in the other side ie you are checking that power is passing through the connector
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, will b back in 5 mins once ive done

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all beeped fine

OK this one is a little more difficult, I need you to confirm that you have power at the main pcb connections ~ so turn multimeter dial to 500 volts ac. Then put the red probe in the back of the brown power input connector and the black probe in the blue connector, and switch on the power, what reading do you get? the probes should stay in place without you having to hold them. These connectors are single wires to the top right of your picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

without sounding special..from the beep place which way do i turn the dial? left? right ?

Turn it to the off position (12 oclock) then one click right to 500

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok give me a couple of mins to check

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

241

OK that is fine, I think having done the checks we have to conclude that the pcb is faulty, are you in a position to be able to take the product back to the vendor as I have been checking on the internet and this board is no longer available from the major suppliers and classed as being obsolete. I did check Ebay too but I cant see anything close. If you leave it with me I will see if there is anyone out there that can repair these boards for you ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sadly i cant return it :( if i send u a link to one i found that looks identical would you be able to tell me if that would work?

Yes that would be OK, I will contact LG in the morning and see what the last digit indicates too ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. http://www.ebay.de/itm/LG-6871JB1064YMainboard-Kuhlschrank-Refrigirator-GR-L247EQ-/321727883821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item4ae879ea2d, its germany ebay so i had to click the little translate this page in the top right of search bar lol but i looked on LG and saw the board they list as the one for mine and its totally different to what i have, the one on the germany ebay is identical to look at when compared to pick of mine! and thank you you are being really patient and super good with me its appreciated

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and yet mine doesnt have the second coil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

mine is the exact same as the one i sent link for, the one u sent is same as what LG have on there site as the board for appliance so im lost lol

The problem is that LG are constantly changing things on their boards as they find they have problems with things, for instance they brought out a pan European board working on 220v and then had massive problems with the UK market because we use 240v so they had to modify the boards, this could be a later board to your original. If LG says its OK I would take a chance ~ the Ebay board is new and very cheap, likely just trying to get rid of old stock ~ I note its the same vendor for both boards ~ Ian

Just checked and your board is listed for the 247 whilst mine is for the 207
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and yet if i go to the lg website and download the manual for the 247 its the same as mine including all diagrams?

OK I have just been on the LG website the board ending X is listed as being designed to fit the GRL207XQ or BQ or EQ or TQ ~ looking at your board it looks like someone has manually marked the Y . According to LG (the X board) is the only board to be used on your model. It may well be that its the software that is different.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so what do you suggest?

well if it was me I would get the board that is listed by LG, as its coming from the same guy and the difference in price is only six euros why take the chance of getting it wrong. You should be bombproof with Ebays return policy if you have to return it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so the board i showed you yes? sorry its been a long day ! lol

No the one ending X which I sent you a link to ~ we cant establish if your board is correctly labelled as someone has obscured the final digit with a marker pen ~ as You say it has been a long day but at least you have learned how to use a multimeter so all was not lost. I think I have gone as far as I can at the moment so would you kindly rate my service to you using the smiley faces below, this lets me close the job down on the system but allows you to ask further questions if needed when you get the new board. ~ Ian
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sadly the link you sent me for the one ending x on ebay has ended so im at a loss but shall rate ur service none the less

I would send Henry an email, from what I can see he is in the trade so likely will still have the item or one in stock, if you were able to get one in the UK (which I cant) it would have cost you £44 + vat so his price is competitive ~ thanks for the rating ~ once you get the board give me a ping if you need further help ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good morning, I've mailed the seller and he doesn't think he has one in stock 😩 bad times

OK I will try and locate one for you or if not find someone who might be able to repair it for you ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks, ***** ***** I've mailed lg to see if they can offer any advice

Hopefully between us we should be able to get a part for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

lg have been less than useful Frown

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ive found a board for 207eq on ebay but the board ends in w..no clue if this is of any use

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

however its its gr p207 eq

OK leave it with me, the LG Technical guy is off today but have left him a message to call me tomorrow just to clarify that last letter in the part no ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks it is appreciated

OK I have the answer to the last letter query, this is the modification or upgrade as the model progresses through its development, in theory then if you were to have a board slightly before or after it should work in you appliance. If you want your board repaired let me know and I have a contact that will do it ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sooo am i right in thinking that board that ended in Y it should work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sooo am i right in thinking that board that ended in Y it should work? Also what would it likely cost to repair my board
Just asked for a price ~ will come back to you when I have it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi , please let me know if you need us further;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

am just awaiting a price from dale thanks

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Your more than welcome;-) Have a great day!
Best of luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ian (dale) shall i go ahead and order the board i sent you the link to?
What price is being asked for it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, they sold the one ending with Y but have the one ending W its £43 quid and i thing a fiver delivery

I think in your situation I would take a chance and get it, my friend hasn't come back to me yet with an answer re cost but I am aware that he has one of his children in hospital and we need to get the show on the road, how long has it got to run before the end?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it was buy it now so ive been brave thrown caution to the wind! now or never, fortune favours the brave and all that jazz lol..it should arrive somewhere between thurs and monday! heres hoping! my dad got me a quote to repair existing board from someone he knows and it was same sorta money but a trek to go get it sorted lol

OK well keep me in the loop, will be nice to see how you get on and fingers crossed ~ I hope you got you money back for the first rating? If not give me a shout and I'll sort it out for you ~ Ian

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, yes i got a full refund. i so hope this works the model number on the board is gr-p207eq rather than gr-l207eq but same board number but with a w not x as we kinda hope one letter either side will work lol soon as it arrives ill let you know so we can attempt a straight swap..only concern is that 2nd fuse that was fixed to the board on mine ...

Well if you are really worried about it you could always take it to you local radio shop and get them to remove the link and solder on in its place, we have the values ~ Ian
Sorry ignore the further action offer, I hit the wrong key ~ ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

lol ok, will wait til it arrives (my dad could solder it..well id hope he could given hes a metal worker/welder etc and has done all sorts in his 74 yrs of life thus far) brace yourself for when it does arrive we have already established im a thicko lol

OK no worries give me a shout when you get it ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hiya! Just to let you know new board arrived...i asked my dad to fit it and it all works!! And he's going to get his mate to repair the old board as a back up spare. I honestly cant thank you enough for your patience with me and support you have been great x thanks again Ian

It has been a pleasure working with you ~ even though I am a refrigeration with many years working on LG it was a learning curve for me. Glad we got it sorted without you losing too much money ~ enjoy the LG I rate them ~ take care - Ian