Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Prestige fridge freezer stopped working. All electrics still

Prestige fridge freezer stopped working. All electrics still on eg light
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for choosing Just Answer.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will help me make a diagnosis quickly for you.
How old is your fridge?
Also is there any excess frost or ice on the rear wall inside the frezzer?
And is the compressor running, the compressor is behind the fridge in the lower access panel;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The appliance is approximately 4-5 years old. I will check re the ice and compressor and get back asap

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi no there is no ice on the outside back wall of the appliance. How will I know if the compressor is running?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Collette,
Its important that I know the answers to the questions I ask you so I can help you effectively;-)
Thank you for your patience Collette.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have put my hand on the round motor which I think is the compressor and it is vibrating, so guess working. Also the internal fans in the fridge and freezer are both working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My last reply re compressor did you get it? It is working

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Collette,
Is the compressor warm?
Also look and feel the copper lines from the compressor is one hot and one cold?
And as for the ice forming, I didnt ask for an outside check loll.
I need to know if there is any ice on the rear wall inide the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more information from me?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Is the compressor warm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No ice on inside of freezer or fridge as been off for 30 hours. However there is always a small build up of ice in the fridge near the bottom.

Compressor is warm, one copper warm one cold

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Collette.
DOes the freezer seem to be getting cold at all now and how long has it been ON for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have just turned it one for this conversation. Prior to it being off for 30 hours it had been on for 12 hours and no the temperature had not changed. Neither the fridge or the freezer appear to be even cool.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Collette,
see if it gets cold now. It sounds like the unit is working again but that you may have defrost problem. WHen the ice appears on the INSIDE wall of the freezer, that means the cooling coils behind the rear wall INSIDE the freexer are frozen over. When this happens, no cold air can circulate therefore warm fridge and freezer.
This may happen again in a few weeks let me know if it does then we can go over what needs to be checked and replaced.
ALso make sure your door seals are good and dont have any gaps between the doors and the frame when you close the doors, that will also cause this problem.
Please keep me posted. I will stick with you until your unit is working correctly,and it won't cost you anything additional to rate my service. You can always get in touch with me if you need further assistance after rating;-)
Thank you and have a nice Sunday Colette;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand I have told you it had been back on for over 12 hours and had not changed in temperature. Can I be clear that you feel it is working? I am not clear

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you please reply to my last post, thanks

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Colette, sorry that message didnt come through to me until just now oops, system issue I guess. Sometimes that happens my appology.
With the answers you gave me the next step is to remove the rear INSIDE wall of the frrezer to check the cooling coils to see if they frost evenly or if they frost up in just agre places.
The compressor is running, and the lines are feeling as they should so it is trying to cool.
And you say the fan in the freezer is running as well and the unit has been defrosted.
so this means in all likelyhood that you have whats called a cold system failure.
It means there is a clog in the cooling tubes somewhere and unfortunately this repair is very expensive and most people dont do this rather in this case its best to replace the fridge;-(
And the other issue would be lost coolant(freon).
In this case there is a leak and that also is usually not worth the cost of repair. If that one is even in a place where it is accesible.
I wish I had better news for you on this I really do Colette.
I will stick with you untilyou are satisfied. And it won't cost you anything additional to rate my service. You can always get in touch with me if you need further assistance after rating;-)
You could have the unit checked by a repairman to be sure that this is correct but I have over 35 years experience as a refrigeration tehcnican so I am sure of this.Please rate kindly, I know te advice isnt what you want to hear but sometimes the problem is severe.
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.