George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a whirlpool undercounter fridge. The fan is running

I have a whirlpool undercounter fridge. The fan is running but the compressor comes on only for a second and then cuts out for a period of time before it does it again. It is of course not cooling. What should I check
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is George..

Unfortunately, this sounds like you have a compressor fault and therefore the compressor would need changing. The clicking you can hear is the compressor relay trying to start the compressor.

Please give the long service code from the label inside the fridge so that I can better look at your problem and the parts involved.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

service code is:

8551 001 15323

There is another bar code beneath it:

50 0540 005577

Are you hearing a click and then another click a second or two later from the rear of the appliance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The fan is running continually. the compressor comes on but only for a second and then shuts off with a click. Just now I waited 2 minutes before it did it again.

I am not hearing a second click other than when the compressor shuts off

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you still on the case

Yes sorry, I went away for dinner.

The compressor itself is defective.. The relay is clicking to start the compressor, but because the compressor is either seized or shorted the relay is shutting down as it becomes overheated..

The replacement compressor (Part no# *****) for that model retails at around £70 + delivery and then you'll have labour and gas to pay for..

If you decide to go ahead, I can give you details of a local engineer who could possibly do the work for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

may as well have a new one at £200?

IIf you can obtain a good quality replacement at £200, then I think you are making a wise choice.

You have my contact details, if you need further assistance with this please feel free to contact me.