Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I got a problem with a Zanussi 1480W washer dryer. half way

Customer Question

I got a problem with a Zanussi 1480W washer dryer. half way through the cycle I get an E20 error (pump clogged). Only problem is I've unclogged it using the procedure in the manual and its still giving the E20 Error. Ive tried looking under the machine to see if there is a clogging there, but I cant see anything.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Im taking it its stopping full of water is it?

If you set it to a spin only cycle do you hear the pump running?

If not then do you hear a slight humming noise from the bottom of the washer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is stopping full of water. Ive drained it out at the moment.

I think the pump is running...how can i set to a spin only cycle?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

To select a spin only turn it on and press the skip button untill the light on the side for the spin setting is lit and then press start and that will do the spin.

Then see if you can hear the pump running from there and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes of course...forgive me...Ive just gone down and done that.

It seems to go through its spin cycle no problem...the drum is turning in the correct way. I can see the drain pump fan turning (I got the pump door open at the moment

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok if the pump is running but not draining the water out then theres a blockage in there somewere.

The first thing to check is the drain hose and were it drains to. If it goes under a sink then you need to remove the spigot it pushes onto and check theres nothing blocked up in there.

But if thats all clear then you need to pull the washer out and lean it backwards against a wall and get someone to hold it for you.

The lie down and look under the washer and there you will see a black hose going from the drum to the pump.

Remove this hose and clear out any debris thats in there. Once its clear refit it and retry the washer and fingers crossed this will cure it and sort the fault from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Ive done all that.

I checked the drain hose going into the sink and removed some gunk from there...but there wasnt all that much, and the machine still gave the same fault.

Ive taken the black hose away from the pump...I cant see anything in there. In doing that the emergency water drain tube (the small grey one) has become detached, and I cant see where that reattaches. Is it worth removing the black hose at the drum end to see if theres anything there?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok if it all seems clear then yes remove the black hose from the drum end and see if theres anything in there.

As to the small hose what you can do is remove the filter and pore water in there and look under the washer and you will see the water comming out the spout were that hose goes to so you can find it that way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cant remove the hose from the drum end. Its held tight by a screw type clip and the head end is facing away from me, so I cant detach it.

Ill struggle on for a bit.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Its usually an 8mm socket head that gets that clamp off.

But if all the rest is clear and the pump is running then refit it all and retry it and see what happens from there and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes but the problem is I cant get the 8mm socket head over the end of it, as its facing away from me. I cant get the screwdriver onto it because its too big.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

If you cannot remove it from there then the onlyother way is to remove the complete back half panel of the washer and then you will be able to access it from that side.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cant feel anything blocking the pipe, but if its material (fluff) I dont suppose I would be able to. I guess I will have to remove the back panel. If this pipe is clear, and it still doesnt work, what would be the next course of action.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

If that hose is clear and the drain hose is as well and the pump is running then it has to drain out. As there is nowere else it can get blocked as it will only be in that black hose, In the pump of in the drain hose. So as you say the pump is running the it has to be a blockage in one of them.

But if its all clear just retry the washer and let it fill and set it to a spin and see if the water comes out.

But also just a thought how did you get the water out? Was it from the filter at the front? If so then when you opened it did the water come gusshing out from there? If so then that black hose wont be blocked as it if was then the water wont drain from the filter as well due to the blockage in that hose so the water would stay inside the drum.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the water out by scooping the majority direct from the drum bottom and then getting the excess out via the small grey tube. When I opened the filter at the front a small amount only came out

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok in that case then the blockage could be in that hose so just keep trying to get access to that hose and im sure you will find the blockage in there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've removed the top of the unit and unscrewed all the bolts at the back, but I still cant get access to it. It doesnt seem to want to move.

Also I think there may be a puncture type hole in the black hose. It feels like it anyway.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

If you have the top off and and have removed the screws holding the top on.

Then remove the screws in the bottom corners in the back.

Then look on the side in the middle at the bottom and you will see a round plastic cap. Pop this out and theres another screw in there.

Once thats all off undo the plastic holder were the water pipes are and then you can remove the back panel from there.

As to the puncture hole in the hose if it has got a hole then theres something in there thats done it. Im taking it water is leaking from there. If so then you will need to replace that hose im afraid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I need to get a new hose, can I ask you where do I get it from, how much, and how long would it take to get to me?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

If you need the hose then the part number is(###) ###-####/p>

As for a place to get it from then you can try these www.buyspares.co.uk and just enter the part number for it and it should take a few days i would think.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the back off - eventually - but I still cannot get at the screw. I think I will need some better tools. I shall continue

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

No worries, Im sure you will get there in the end.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK I managed to get at this screw, untie it, and found a huge mass of black fluff and plastic ties, which I extracted. I checked the rubber tube and it was not punctured. I put the machine back together again, redid the back, reconnected, and ran a full service wash (95 degree with no clothes in). Worked fine! No leaks anywhere.

Then I ran a four hour full wash on some black clothes, 30 degree heat with prewash and extra drying. After 2 hours 25, E20 error again. I tried the usual fix with the front but although there was a little fluff in, it was very small and did not fix the problem. I tried a few more times, and it seems to be coming up with the error when its on the drying cycle. Everything else seems to work fine.

I dont have time to take it all apart again now to get at the big black tube. Is there another tube somewhere else where there could be a problem?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok if you have E20 comming up on the dryer only now then this will be a blocked dryer condenser unit.

Im afraid you need to remove the back panel again but this time you will see a big plastic chamber on the left hand side when looking from the back. It sits under the fan motor and goes to the base.

You need to remove this and give it a good clean out from there and then that should sort the dryer side out from there then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok will try that, probably tomorrow!

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries thats fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

OK I got the back off and I can see the big plastic chamber. It has lots of fluff in it.

Ive disconnected it at the top, and I presume I have to disconnect the black pipe leading into it at the bottom. It still seems to be connected at the bottom and there doenst seem to be a catch.

Even if I do remove it, is it openable up? I dont see how I can remove the fluff very easily.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

If you have the top of the condenser then undo the black hose at the bottom and then just bend it down to the left away from the washer and it will unclip from the base so you can remove it from there.

Then the best way to clean it out is with a hose pipe. You cannot open it so just spray the hose pipe in there and give it a good shake and it will clear out from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've managed to do it! I wasnt able to get all the muck out, there was too much and it was too ingrained and the shapeof the container is just simply too awkward, but I got most of it out. Ive just run a four hour wash and it worked perfectly!

Thanks for all your advice and help!

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Nice one glad to hear its sorted and thanks for letting me know how it went.