Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916
Appliance

Michael, I own a SMEG DI607 dishwasher which is 18 months

Hi Michael,
I own a SMEG... Show More
Hi Michael,
I own a SMEG DI607 dishwasher which is 18 months old.
For the last month it has developed a problem where the water inside the salt compartment seems to drain away, which means that the salt mixture is not mixing with the plates during the wash so they are not fully clean.
To give you more detail. At the beginning of a cycle, the salt container is dry, with plenty of salt in it but no water. I fill up the container with water and start a cycle. This sort of works but not 100%. During the cycle the water seems to seep/leak from the salt container so by the end of the cycle it is once again empty of water.
Would greatly appreciate your thoughts and any help you can give.
Regards,
Conal Henry
Show Less
replied 1 year ago.

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~

Hi Conal Henry ~ let me explain how the water softening system works which should help you resolve/understand your issue. Firstly the salt is not used to soften the water it is used to backflush the water softener and should not come into contact with the dishwasher water supply at all. Once the salt container is filled with salt you should have no need to touch it again until the indicator comes on telling you, you are short of salt. The only other thing that would cause a shortage of salt is if the salt container top is loose. Now on to the water softener itself, this is filled with resin beads that as the mains water passes through them attract the mineral deposits whilst allowing the now soft water to pass through and into the wash cavity. This will occur continuously until such time as sensors decide that the beads hold as much of the mineral deposits as they can. At this point the water softener is shut off from the wash cavity and water 'backflushes' a saline mix (ie this is where your dishwasher salt and water mix) back through the water softener bead chamber cleaning all deposits off the beads and then it is pumped down the drain. Once this is completed the machine goes back to wash mode ~ most of this in automatic so you don't see anything at the front end. I hope that explains the system. Once you have digested this come to me if you have further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the information. Let me try to explain my problem another way.

Today when I went to turn on the dishwasher, the salt indicator is on (i.e. the light is red). To indicate it needs more salt. When I open the salt container, which is screwed on tight, the salt container is pretty full. However it is dry, there is virtually no water in the container, just salt.

When I pour some tap water into the salt container the red salt indicator goes off.

If I do not put water into the salt container, the dishes are not properly washed. But after the wash completes the salt indicator becomes red again.

You answer this with your reply but from my experience with previous dishwashers the salt container has a mix of salt and water, is this correct?

Regards,

Conal

Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago.
That is correct but are you filling the salt up to the top of the neck or just half way up?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

I filled it up to just about half way up.

Conal

OK fill it up to the top, the water during back~flush passes through the salt and forms brine, which duly flushes the beads, once filled to the top you should have no further issues with the fill light until it is down to half used. Make sure the top is tight.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

I just went to check it and it was half full and the red indicator light is on. I then filled up to the top with salt but the red salt indicator light is still on. I know that if I pour water into the salt container the light will go off.

What would you like me to? Shall I put water in which will switch the indicator light off or run it without adding additional water.

Regards,

Conal

Leave the water out for the time and put it through a pre wash and tell me what you get after the wash.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Ran a pre wash and the salt red indicator light stayed on (i.e. red). Opened the salt container (it was tight as always) and it was dry.

I just wanted to repeat an earlier point. Up to two months ago when we opened the salt container there would always be water in it already. We would then add in the salt (if the red light was on) up to the brim. It's only over the last month or so that it's now dry when you open the container after a wash and has to be filled up with water manually.

OK can you use a multimeter?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can use a multimeter but I don't own one.

OK well if you can borrow one you will find three (will check the number) valves feeding water into/out of the water softener, if you can measure the coil resistance on each one and come back to me with your results that would be useful. ~ Ian

Customer reply replied 1 year ago.

Tried to borrow a multimeter but none of friends have one. May have to buy one but not keen to do that.

OK well to give you the idea, these valves open and close the water supply to the softener, if they or the main pcb are not working then you will get no water in to the dishwasher. You need to eliminate whether the valves work, check the continuity between the valves and main pcb and then if the valves are OK, the continuity is correct then you have a pcb problem. Its no good just guessing, if you do this all you end up doing is wasting money on unnecessary parts. The cost of a cheap multimeter (if you cant borrow one) is going to be much less than what you might waste on parts. However, you can always just continue to fill up the water in the salt dispenser or just ignore the warning light. ~ Ian