Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Hotpoint WWM75A washing machine, i left it running

Customer Question

I have a Hotpoint WWM75A washing machine, i left it running when i left the house. On my return it had apparently had an uneven load problem as the machine had moved about 50mm and the clothes were still wet.
Now the motor won't run at all, the belt is ok, the carbon brushes are ok and the motor turns freely by hand.
The machine fills with water and empties ok, and it clicks when drum should be changing direction, but there seems to be no power to the motor. I think the motor is ok as there was no smell of burning shelac and the motor does not smell like it has been overheating.
I would very much appreciate any help you can give me.
Best regards
Keith
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Is the model number just WM75A?

Is the motor on top of the washer?

Also do you have a multi meter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The model number on the front of the machine is WMM75 but on the back of the machine there is the number WMM75A.

The motor is mounted at the bottom of the outer drum.

I do have a multi meter.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok got it now thanks.

If theres no motor action on this then it can be either the motor itself, the wiring. The DC chopper board at the bottom of the main control board at the top.

On this model theres 2 control boards. You have the main board at the top and you have another one at the bottom near the motor.

As to the motor you can test this with you meter to rule it out.

Look at the motor wiring block and there 7 tags. You need to number them from righ to left with 1 on the right.

Test between 1 and 2 and 3 and all three of them should give a reading between themselfs. As this is the motor field.

Then test 4 and 5 as this is the armature

Then test 6 and 7 and thats the tacho.

If they all test fine then the motor is ok. Check the wiring block going to the motor. Give them a tug as sometimes the wires can break in there.

If thats all fine then remove the chopper board at the back and see if theres any signs of burning in there.

If thats all ok then follow the wires from there to the top board. Check the wires at teh bottom as they run round the concrete weight at the bottom as sometimes the wires can rub on there and break.

But if all the above is fine then remove the control board on the top and see if theres signs of burning an see what you find.

Check all that and you should be able to see what the fault is from there.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

I checked the two boards and visually they look ok. I measured the resistance across across the motor tags and got the following results.

1-2 = 3.9 ohms

1-3 = 3.9 ohms

2-3 = 2.5 ohms

4-5 = 3.9 ohms

6-7 = 139 ohms

Are these readings normal or do they indicate the tacho unit is at fault, if so can this be changed alone or do you have to change the whole motor assembly.

Best Regards

Keith

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel
I did what you said and the boards look ok. I measured the resistance across the 7 motor tags and got the following results:

1-2 = 3.9 ohms
1-3 = 3.9 ohms
2-3 = 2.5 ohms
4-5 = 3.9 ohms
6-7 = 139 ohms

Are these readings normal or is the tacho at fault. If so can it be changed alone of does the whole motor have to be changed.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you

Them readings you got from the motor shows it as being ok. The tacho is usually higher resistance then the armature so dont worry about that. The motor is fine on this.

So if the wiring is ok as well then it just leaves one of the control boards at fault here im afraid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How can i tell which board it is?

Keith

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

You need to remove them both and hopefully you will see signs of burning on there and that will show you which is the faulty board.

Other then that thats the hard part to find out which it is as its a case or replacing one to see. But to be honest with you both of them parts are very expensive and usually not worth replacing as they are both over the £100 mark.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you it's a shame though it's been such a good machine. Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards

Keith

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

These are very good washers but as they get older a lot of the parts go obsolete and thinkg about this i think the top board is obsolete anyway now.