George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Curry's Essentials Dish washer CDW60W10 On any of the programmes,

Customer Question

Curry’s Essentials Dish washer CDW60W10
On any of the programmes, especially wash, it fills and runs for a few minutes, then beeps empties the water, turns pump off then beeps a lot whist flashing the dryer light.
It used to do it every now and then, now it does it all the time –In the manual on its fault list, it states - water is not turned on, or low water pressure or ‘ flow meter is broken’ although I cannot find a part that is actually called a flow meter. - Looking inside it seems to have two flow switches - every thing looks ok with no obvious blockages or burnt wires etc. – it’s a cheap (probably nasty) dishwasher so I am on the verge of chucking it out, but would prefer to fix.
Regards ***** *****
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

The determination of the information given by your manual in instructing you of the meaning of the fault code is not an exact science..

The actual problem you have is that the pressure switch has not acted within four minutes of the inlet valve becoming active.

You may have a blocked pressure switch tube, or the pressure switch, pressure switch wiring, or pcb may be defective.

I have placed the faults in likelyhood of being the fault.

Please rate the assitance given & kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has two pressure switches (not sure why) how do I test them to see if they work or is there any other way I can test the system

Ok bruce,

Generally, place a multimeter between on continuity between pin '1' and pin '3' of the pressure switch that has brown and red wires whilst applying very gentle air pressure into the pressure switch tube; a circuit should be completed.

On the pressure switch with two black wires on pin '1' and pin '2' you there will be continuity between pin '1' and pin '2', but following the addition of pressure the circuit will, or should, disappear.

At this point I ask that you rate the assistance given
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks why does it seem to have two pressure switches, and is the probem more likely to be these that the control board, or could there be a blockage elsewhere?

As far as I can see from the wiring diagram; one is to control the dishwashing and the other seems to possibly be to control the pump in the event of an internal flood
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

probably seems obvious, but do I concrentate on the one that controls the dishwashing - I presume it should be relatively easy to see which one goes to the pump - would a solution be to swop them over?

Only if they are identical in part number and ONLY on a temprorary test-only basis. If a flood occurs due to the fact that the pressure switch does not operate it could make things unsafe and costly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I take ou point about the temp fix - Partmaster and espares only list one item - so I presume they are the same, - just a question what would happen if you by-passed the swithch - just to check if that is the fault, (ie joint the wires tubes together - or would this not work or be dangerous.

This is not something that I would advise that you do, or even attempt, even if only for safety sake.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks I will test the switch in the next few days and let you know the result

Regards ***** *****

OK Bruce
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunatlely no success - I tested both the pressure switches and they both seem to work, - one you blow to make it work, the other works when you suck - did not seem to be any blockages in the pipes - tried putting dishwaher cleaner in - made no difference, just did the same thing after a few minutes - any other ideas?
Regrds Bruce
Have a look at whether there is sufficient water entering the appliance to operate the pressure switch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks - I will try that, although I would have thought with the water slushing about in the dishwasher for a few minutes, that would have meant that there was enough water in there?
Also check both tubes are clear.
Check the cables are not damaged & check their connection to the board.
Ensure that the hoses at the drain pump are clear.
Check the heater and the wash motor with an insulation tester to see if there are any earth leaks.. If it has an earth problem then this could also cause spurious problems similar to this.