George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Indesit IDL 500 dishwasher. Initially stopped with lights 1

Indesit IDL 500 dishwasher. Initially stopped with lights 1 and 2 flashing. Wash appeared to have completed ok. Now the unit won't attempt to start at all. When tried there is a delay of several seconds then just light 2 comes on, not flashing. I have tried powering off the mains at the socket for about 30 seconds to see if that reset anything, otherwise all that's been done is to clean out the filters in the bottom of the wash compartment.
Mick
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

The fault you had was that the appliance was registering a 'faulty drain pump' or 'blockage' error

Is the appliance still acting the same way after you cleared the filter?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, just the same. It didn't appear to be badly clogged.

Ok Mick, you're going to need to access the pump, take it apart, and check to see if there is anything jamming it.

Can you do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I can do that. I asume that access is through the bottom of the machine?

1. Remove the 3 screws at the rear of the base.
2. Protect the flooring and disconnect the machine from the plumbing, if required.
3. Carefully lay the machine on its back.There may be a small spillage of water.
4. Remove the 3 screws from the front edge of the base tray.
5. Carefully pull away the front of the tray allowing access to remove the wiring from the float microswitch.
6. Remove the tray
7. Remove the drain hose from the drain pump.
8. Remove the screw from the front of the pump, securing the pump body to the sump.
9. Disconnect the wiring connections.
10. Twist the pump body in an anti-clockwise direction to release the 3 fixing lugs, being careful not
to lose the 'O' ring seal.
NOTE: - When refitting, be careful when fitting the 'O' ring seal and also that all 3 lugs are located in the sump moulding before twisting in place.

Let me know how you get on..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks George. I've now done all that. The pump was more or less empty, nothing significant. The impeller turns easily (with some "cogging" so it isn't just turning on the shaft). Motor windings look ok as far as I can see, with no burning signs or melted plastic. I've not tried to run it independently (I don't think I could get a safe enough connection onto the lugs), but did try the machine again after - still the same. :(

Ok... did you check the resistance across the terminals of the pump?

What error messages are you getting now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

204 ohms (this is UK 230v 50Hz)

The indication is the same. Just light 2, not flashing.

Ok, when you turn the appliance on, cancel the program... tell me if you can hear/feel the drain pump working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think that might have fixed it as there were definite signs of life. :) I'll finish putting it back together. Would it be an idea to try the rinse cycle as that's only short?

Once you have put it back together, put a pan or two of water into the dishwasher and turn it on to a rinse program...

Before doing anything else, the program should attempt to discharge the water in the tub.

Don't forget to rate the assistance I have given you... Once rated, you can return for further advice should you need it.

regards
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That seems to have done it. The water emptied as expected. :)