Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Coffee maker: Delonghi ESAM 5500, not producing steam for

Coffee maker: Delonghi ESAM 5500, not producing steam for cappuccino. It makes coffee fine, i.e. pump works.  Heating element tests at 53 ohms suggesting it is ok. What the problem likely to be and how can I confirm/test suspect part? Is there a technical service manual, I cannot find one online.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for choosing Just Answer.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve. Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem. That will helphere is no service manual for that one;-(
When you say heating element are you refering to the one for the coffee brewing part of the system as I suspect?
Also how old is your coffee maker?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael

I can have a hot cup of coffee, machine grinds the beans normal espresso function is fine.

However there is a facility to generate steam and force that thru an attached milk jug, or just providing hot water from a water spout attached to the same point on the machine. The heating element that I did a resistance check on (53Ohms) I think is listed as a vaporiser or steaming Part (DEL7332212600).

Water can be pumped thru this spout when descaling the machine, which it does when in this mode.

if you press the button for hot water, the display states "heating up please wait"

Machine is 4 years old.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Adam for that.
this sounds like the main unit (control board is bad on this one).
That means its just not sending power to the element for steam.
But I would check this live to be sure.
The resistance sounds ok, but you may also have a seal issue going on if there is power to the element;-)
I will stick with you until your unit is working correctly,and it won't cost you anything additional to rate my service. You can always get in touch with me if you need further assistance after rating;-)
Thank you and have a nice evening Adam and please rat ekindly at this time;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael, thanks for getting back to me, control board will be hard to diagnose without logic overview. There are two solenoid operated magnetic valves, I think one is for flow, and the other for steam, I'm not sure how to test them without some serious googling. My background is aircraft engineering (mechanical) not electrical, though I do have a reasonable laymen understanding of electronics. I have taken the covers off the machine and the steam-element in question does heat up during a de scale setting, so it must be getting power. On the same token of the control board I guess it could equally not be supplying power to the solenoid operated valves.
What do you mean with regard to "seal" issue?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Adam, that is correct.
I have seen this problem many times in the past with this model and have gone through troubleshooting this problem and its the board that fails every time.
As for the seal issue I was refering to the solenoid not opening or leaking steam.
In this case though if you dont get power from the board to the solenoid or the heting element then you can be sure the board is bad. But if on the other hand you do get power from the board to the element but it doesnt get hot, you would need the element, conversely the same with the solenoid.
If the unit will make a cup of coffee, as it does, the element part of the circuit is ok.
Its the solenoid or the board that is at fault. You can be sure by running the unit with a meter on the wire outputs to the solenoid and see if you have power there. If not, the board must be replaced. If you do however have power there at the solnoid and no action from the solenoid, then you need a new solenoid;-)
Hope that helps Adam;-)
Thank you and have a nice day;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael

I found a test procedure on the internet, which allowed me to prove the SOV's both worked.

I found that both TCO's on the steam heating element were both in an open circuit condition, when I shorted the the TCO's the element heated up and steam/hot water could be dispensed. I've ordered some new TCO's (£5 each) which I will replace. I suspect you are right in your diagnosis of the board being at fault, I'll fit the new TCO's and see if they blow again, in which case I will order a new board and 2 new TCO's, (lead time on a board is over a month!)

Any further advice is welcome, I will rate after response, thanks again.

Adam

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Adam you got lucky ;-)
Hopefully once replaced them they will last a while loll;-)
I wish you the best and enjoy your coffee, I couldn't live without it !
Have a great day and if you have any additional trouble please let me know.
Please rate kindly;-)
And Thank you Adam!
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.