Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Ive got an e52 error on my zanussi 1z161w wasshing machine

Customer Question

ive got an e52 error on my zanussi 1z161w wasshing machine
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Error E52 on a Zanussi washing machine is defined as, “no signal from the tachometric generator”. It sounds complicated, in fact I’ve never even heard of “tachometric generator” in over 30 years in the trade but they are referring to what we always call the tacho coil. This is a small coil on the motor at the side of a small magnet on the end of the armature. As the motor turns, so does the magnet, and as one of its poles keeps passing the tacho coil it generates (presumably) small currents or pulses which can be sensed by the control module.This method is the perfect way to sense the speed of the motor and to control it. Error E52 means the control module or PCB is getting no signal from this coil, but as far as it’s concerned there’s nothing else wrong. That is, it knows it’s sending power to the motor, and it knows there’s no other related fault detected – therefore it’s puzzled as to why it’s getting no signal from the tacho coil because the motor should be turning.
The logical assumption is that the motor is physically jammed, which is why most technical manuals report that as a likely explanation. A jammed motor certainly is a valid explanation, but there is more than one possible explanation –
Jammed motor or drum
The magnet on the end of the armature has broken
The tacho coil has physically fallen off the motor
You can try checking the connections to this coil on the motor and back to the pcb, and the resistance of the coil (which is usually very high – but not open circuit) although in theory faults here might not trigger this error.
if you go further you you will need additional assistance likely from me.I will stick with you until your unit is working correctly, You can always get in touch with me if you need further assistance after rating.
Please rate my service kindly thus far, and thank you!
It is the only way I receive credit for my time with you;-)
Have a great day!
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do you remove the back of the zanussi 1z161w to get to the motor is there an exploded diagram available

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bryan, I will check to see if there is a diagram available for you.
To remove the back, check to see if you can first.
If it is removable, you will see screws if not check the bottom to see if it is open there as is likely.
Also the top and front may also come off. The cabinets are made differently from year to year and sometimes as with this one may be different mid year.
Let me know what you find, I suspect the motor is bad or something is causing a jam with he drum;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there are no screws to remove the back it seems to come apart from the side seams which appears to be the entire back half of the washer I cant see any screws on the base of it

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bryan, check to see if you can access the motor from the bottom its the only way.Please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok will have a look

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Ok Bryan, I will be out for an hour or so, when you reply I will see it when I return and reply promptly;-)
Thank you for your patience.