Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have an aeg arctis g 9 18 50-4i integrated freezer which

I have an aeg arctis g 9 18 50-4i integrated freezer which is just over 2 years old and it has stopped chilling. There is power to the unit and the control panel lights but it remains at room temperature.

The control panel lights flash on and off & the alarm beeps continually.

The on / off switch on the panel will not switch it off neither will it switch off the alarm.

Please advise.

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ are you able to use a multimeter or do you know someone who can?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have a multi meter and can use it.

OK we need to establish if the compressor is receiving power and if not why, this will entail removing the freezer from its cabinet and getting around the back. Would you let me have the product code or pnc which is on the rating label, this is not the model number but the AEG build code which establishes which version it is ~ Ian

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My wife and I have now removed the appliance from the housing.

The Type is B227446 - this is taken from the left lower side panel. The PNC is 922 754 708

OK can you tell me the make and model number of the compressor please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's an Embraco VEMY 9C

Thanks for that, you will have to give me a while to find out the detail on this as its Chinese built and all the technical detail uses Chinese Characters. I will have to get hold of the AEG service manual to see the specifications. The original version of your unit used a European compressor ~ Ian
OK can you tell me what the numbers are after the pnc these should be 00, 01, 02, 03,04, 05, 06 or 07 ~ the last product run of this model is 2010.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are no numbers after the pnc on the label inside the freezer. Only 06193 written sideways on the label.

OK the only version using this compressor is the 2008 build, if you go down near the compressor you will find the power board that controls everything and confirm that you have 220-240 volts coming in to it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have 240V coming to the board from the input cable where it joins the board but only a fluctuating 90-120V coming from the brown live cable at the plastic terminal at the base of the board . This seems to be part of the loom which goes up inside the freezer possibly to the control panel.

If you check that terminal with one probe and the other to the base of the cabinet what do you get?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I said, we have 240V coming to the board from the input cable where it joins the board but only a fluctuating 90-120V coming from the brown live cable at the plastic terminal at the base of the board.

Understood but can you check the voltage between the brown wire and the cabinet please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That was the way I tested it :-)

What voltage have you across CN02 ? It should be 220-240v

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Which terminal is that? I'm out at the moment but don't remember a terminal with that label? Can I send you a link to an image on Flickr?

If you can give me your email I will send you the circuit diagram for this model, please substitute (at) for @ in your email address.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

stephen dot***@******.*** dot uk

You have mail

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've checked over the last hour but have NOT received your email. Please recheck you have sent it to the correct address. Remember to insert a. (a dot) better my christian and surname.

Just sent it again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have 237V across these terminals (blue & black cables)

And between the single cable on CN05 and the base?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Between 40 & 50 volts, it fluctuates

OK lets just have a resume of the system now that we have worked our way through it, the compressor is rated to operate at between 220-240 volts, you have this voltage going in to the main facial (power) board item 41 but you only have 40~50 volts coming back out to the VCC board. What you will now have to do is confirm that you have 220-240volts arriving at the facia board and that there is 220/240v heading back to the compressor. Depending upon what you get going in and going out your will answer your problem, ie if you don't have 220/240v reaching the board then you have a supply problem & secondly if having got that at the facia board ~ does this board give a return voltage of 220/240 rather than the 40/50v?. So check the power in (220/240) check the return (should be 220/240) if either of these are wrong take the necessary action to resolve the problem. It may be that the power board is faulty as it looks at this time that the VCC board is working OK. Would you now kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below, once done you can ask all further questions on a free of charge basis whilst I can remove the question from the system ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm a bit confused; how do I 'confirm that you have 220-240volts arriving at the facia board and that there is 220/240v heading back to the compressor'

Please advise which terminals I should measure voltage across.

Follow the wiring diagram and having taken the facia board out check where the cables connect on the facia board you should have the same colour codes, looks like black and grey to connector J1 check that you have 240v ish between the wires. Then check that you have 240v ish out on J1 slot 4 brown wire. If not then assuming that you have 240v between 3&5 on J1 but no mains voltage on 4 you have a fault facia power board.

+

k
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a different board, it’s a ERF2021 P-01 with different colours however I'm only getting 140V from 1 of the brown cables & approximately 40V from the other.

There is no yellow green cable.

I need you confirm that you are getting 220/240v on the connection from CN02 to the facia PCB on pins 3 & 5. The ERF2000 pcb is just a gen***** *****sting, each appliance model has its own specific number ~ I then need you to check what voltage you have between pin 4 and the casing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I'm not getting 240V on any of the terminals on the facia control board at the top of the freezer.
Check continuity between terminals 4 on CN02 and 3 on facia, 2 on CN02 and 5 on facia and between 1 on CN05 and 4 on the facia you should have continuity on all of them ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for delay but have now checked & there is continuity on both cables.

Are you now able to diagnose the problem please? I want to order the part but want to ensure I order the correct one.

If you don't have 220/240v ac at connector 1 on CN5 you will have a faulty control board ~ would you now kindly rate my information to you as previously requested.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please give me the part number of the board I require to order for this appliance, then I will rate it as excellent.

will check it and come back to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you get any further with this please? I need to order the part asap.

This model has 7 different pcbs so I attach a link to the AEG spares website where you can identify your pcb and order direct ~~ http://shop.aeg.co.uk/category/Fridges+%26+Freezers/Fridges+%26+Freezers/Electronics ~~
Would you now kindly rate my service as agreed.