George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I am hoping you can help me, our wmp631s is not working,

Customer Question

Hello, I am hoping you can help me, our wmp631s is not working, it makes a noise as if starting then stops. I have checked and cleaned the pump. It seems that on whatever cycle we put it on it just starts then stops then starts and stops I hope I have explained clearly to you. And I am looking forward to your reply, many thanks in advance
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.

Hello Robert, my name is George..

1.. Can you take out the pump filter again.. Using a long enough screwdriver or similar implement, can you rotate the impeller on the pump...

You are looking for whether it is jammed; can it rotate; if it can rotate, is it loose on the shaft...

2.. Also, whilst the filter part is out; placing a towel under the front, can you pour a cup or two of water into the drum to see if the water comes to the pump correctly.

If those tests have positive results, then come back to me and we'll go a little further.

Once you are satisfied that either the problem is solved or I have helped you sufficiently, please rate the assistance..

Once rated, feel free to ask for further advice, however kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rotates good not loose on shaft water empties from filter and starts to go our of drain pipe but just won't start a cycle properly and if left on it just starts for about 5 seconds then stops and does this a couple of times

Thanks Robert...

Can you tell me if, when it is starting and stopping, water is entering the detergent drawer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes water refills for a few seconds but even on drain n spin cycle it only stays on for a few seconds . Thank you so far George.

When you say "it only stays on", do you mean to say that the appliance loses power and all lights go out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No the lights are on but it's as if the cycle doesn't want to complete. I have tried several cycles and they all do the same. I thing it could be something to do with the program board or something

This could be one of a few things... Do this for me and come back with the results:

Close the door of the machine.
Move program selectior to CANCEL position.
Then, while pressing START/PAUSE button, bring the program selection switch to the first program in the clockwise direction.
The door will lock.

Are any of the five lights on the right lit? If so, which ones, from top to bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Spin

From top to bottom.. I think that is led number 4 is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes number four. Sorry if I'm not explaining it properly George. This is my first attempt at fixing a washing machine

You're doing fine so far Robert,

The fault you have is either a Heater Element that is Open Circuit, or a broken wire to the Heater.

Please now rate the assistance given by me..

Once rated, If you need assistance in testing the faulty part, and you have the tools to do so I will assist you.
I will also assist further by getting you the part number for the Heater Element and letting you know where to purchase it.
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I test please George

Do you have a multimeter Robert?