George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Have a Quattro fridge freezer it stopped working both the fridge

Customer Question

Have a Quattro fridge freezer it stopped working both the fridge and freezer have stopped but lights on and can hear the motor
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you let me know the model number please.. It will be on a label inside the fridge compartment.. alternatively, it may be on the handbook

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George the only number I have inside the fridge. Is###-##-####00. No manual it's a two door and two drawer fridge freezer

Thanks Lesley,

Is that on the label... If so, does it have a refrigerant number also.. eg R12 R134a or R600a?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No no label just if you need parts and servic call a phone number ta on a diffrent sticker
If you remove the salad bowl, is there a label behind it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Label just checked that
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I m not sure if you require my assistance but I got a message from you on this if you would like to work with me please let me know or you can continue with George;-)
Ok Lesley, we'll have to proceed in a manor to try diagnose the proble relating to how your system is built..

Can you first open the freezer and remove the drawers... Let me know if there is and ice or frost build-up on the rear panel inside
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George no ice at all what happened woke up from morning to a pool of water where the freezer defrosted cleared all that up
Reset as the ***** *****ghts where both flashing for freezer and fridge got home to more water and everything was defrosted cleared all out turned the fridge back on put freezer on so everything should be working light on when open fridge also if you leave door open alarm goes off but no freezing or fridge working can hear the fridge working

Can I ask where you found the pool of water... was it at the front of the appliance, inside the appliance, or at the rear of the appliance?

And how long was the appliance off for?

I have to go out Lesley.. I will come back to this problem on my return...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George the water was not from the fridge but from the meat defrosting no other water so no water from fridge ok George here from you soon the appliance was not off either it proberbly was defrosting longer then I noticed
Lesley, can you get behind the appliance and remove the bottom cover .. Let me know if the large black domed compressor is running and whether it is hot or cold please.

Also let me know if the fans in the compartments are running or not

Chat with you on my return
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The black domed motor is hot and has water in the tray can't hear a fan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can hear the motor not sure if it a fan or not my daughter feels it could be a fan
How hot is that compressor... Rate it normal hot as 1 or extreme hot as 5?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think
Maybe it's the fan I think can hear compressor but not really the fan
Ok, leave it to run for a while..
It will take about 8 hrs to get to normal running temperature

I will tell you that at this moment I am thinking that it is short of refrigeration or there is a fault in the compressor.. However, let us see what happens after a few hours...

regards
George
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would you think I should get it repaired shall I turn it all off for a while and turn back on later or do you think I may need a new one
Well.. that depends on the problem, and the cost. I know when we receive these items into Findmyrecycler.co.uk 99% of the time we will repair them.. Replacing compressors and/or regassing... However, there is always that 1%.

The units are no cheap items.. Personall, I would turn it off for 24hrs with the door open and some towels in the bottom to collect any water that comes from any ice collection... Then I would remove the internat panel in the freezer to test all parts.

Then I would turn it on and wait 12hrs for it to get to temperature.. Then using a digital thermometer I would check it out...