Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a customer who has a problem with a hob. T1722NO.

Customer Question

Hi I have a customer who has a problem with a hob. T1722NO. She had it checked by a technician, who found that it was fed with a 2.5mm cable. I was called in to change it to a 6mm. The problem was that two of the rings would go off intermittently and not come back on. When the cable was changed they worked. But the dual ring only lit on the inner part. Now after 3 days the problem on the other rings seems to have resumed.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient as these are technical questions that may require a bit of conversation to solve.
Also remember to be detailed in your description of the problem.
That will help me make a diagnosis in a timely manner;-)
How old is her hob?
Also how long was it wired with ust the 2.5 mm cable?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think around 5 years maybe more

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Oh wow, thanks Alan,
I would check the wiring to the rings because running the unit like that for so long they wires will overheat due to the 2.5's inability to carry the current without overloading and getting hot. But if all seems ol there, I would suspect the main conrol board because it has relays that will fail prematurly for the exact same reason. I wish they sold the relays seperatly because I think you are going to find that it is the main board thats at fault here. And the relays would tell the whole story, its more of an intermittent issue when the contacts in the relays decide to make contact they will light all the rings but other times they cant due to soot build up between the contacts. In any case, I will stick with you until your unit is working correctly, You can always get in touch with me if you need further assistance after rating. It won't cost you anything additional to rate;-)
Please rate my service kindly thus far, it is the only way I receive credit for my time with you alan;-)
Thank you and have a great day and please rate kindly at this time!
Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Michael, I am going back there tomorrow. I will open it up and look. From what you say though it sounds like it's a throw away and start again job.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alan LOL!
maybe because the board is expensive and who knows how many wires have been affected by this condition;-)
Hopefully you dont lose on this deal.
Have a great day Alan and I wish you the best with this.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael, had a look this morning. It is in a bit of a mess. The customer has decided to get a new hob. Thanks for your advice. Alan

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I figured loll;-)
Have a nice day.
And your welcome.