Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Got a zanussi zzrb23200wa fridge freezer which is warm in the fridge but the freezer is

Customer Question

hi got a zanussi zzrb23200wa fridge freezer which is warm in the fridge but the freezer is working ok?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

When you get this kind of fault the problem is always inside the freezer. As the fridge gets its cooling from the freezer secion. As the fan in there blows the cold air into the fridge section.

What you need to do is empty the freezer and remove the back panel.

Behind there you will see the evaporator. If this is covered in ice you need to use a hairdryer and fully melt the ice in there.

At the bottom of the evaporator at the back is a solt in the back wall. This is the vent that the air goes up to the fridge section. Make sure this isnt blocked with ice as well.

Once thats fully defrosted refit the back panel and retry it and that should get it up and running again from there. and after a few hours should be back to normal again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do i need to turn off the fridge freezer first?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Yes just unplug it and you will be fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how long before i can take the panel off?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Sorry dont know what you mean by ''how long before i can take the panel off?''

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cant get the panel off?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Look at the back panel inside the freezer at the top and there will be a screw in the top left corner.

Remove this and then you can remove the top section cover.

With this off you can see the screws holding the panel on from there, Remove them and then you can clear it from there.

But if you just cannot remove it then there isnt another way to do this. Leave it unplugged for 24 hours and keep the freezer door open and this will allow it to defrost itself. But this way will take 24 hours to do im afarid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have now done tjhis and it is not frozen...

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok if that isnt frozen then it must be the fan not blowing the air up into the fridge section.

With it pluged in and main back panel refitted can you see or hear the fan running in there?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Sorry if the fan is running then it has to be a blocke vent with ice. As you say the freezer is working but the fridge isnt then its either the vent blocked with ice or the fan is faulty. Its one of the other otherwise the fridge will be cold.

Have you completey remove the back panel to expose the evaporator completey?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i could see the fan when the back panel was removed

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Sorry its not the fan you want to see. Its the evaporator which looks like a radiator with a lot of metal fins on it. If you have the back panel off you cannot miss it as it runs up the back panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cant get the wholeback panel off....any ideas? undo the fan screws?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

With the small cover off exposing the fan either side you will see a hole. Theres a screw in both of them so remove them and then you can pull the back panel off from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

got it off now-can see evaporator and it is a little frozen up-please advise

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok use a hairdryer and fully melt all the ice in there till its all gone.

Then look at the very bottom of the evaporator at the back and you will see that vent i said before. Melt all the ice in there as well.

Then refit the panels and that shoudl sort it from there.