George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Hoover washer-dryer WDYN, its just over a year old

I have a Hoover washer-dryer WDYN, its just over a year old - never been any trouble.
Now when i start the cycle, the door light flashes as normal, i hear the click but teh light goes out so nothing happens.
Can you help please.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you give me the full model number and the product code from the label inside the door opening please?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WYDN 856 DS-80

31005621 1405 0063

Thank you Alan..

Give me a few minutes whilst I look at the information for your model
Is the appliance empty of water Alan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Can you remove the kick panel and open the filter housing .. check to see if there are any blockages...

Cancel the current program and turn the dial to a drain only program.. check if the pump operates..

If it doesn't, cancel that program and turn it to a spin program.. start the program and then wait.. see if the drum starts to rotate after a delayed period.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Filter is fine

No pump starting

No drum rotating

Door light flashes, door lock clicks and door light goes out, then nothing

Ok, when the door lock clicks, does it actually lock the door... Try it for me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it locks the door

It also unlocks after a couple of minutes when i switch it off

Then try something else for me.. Disconnecting the appliance from the mains, disconnect the pump, then turn the appliance back on again and try it... I want to see if it is the pump causing the issue.

Obviously, if it is still doing the same, plug the pump back in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

whats the simplest way to disconnect the pump

Tilt the washer back at 60 degs and disconnect from underneath is the easiest way..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, i disconnected the pump electrically and its still the same

Ok Alan, I am going to post a link in a couple of minutes... The link will be available for 2 minutes only..

If you prefer, you can ring me on my work phone of *********** to get the timing right for downloading the file
Hopefully you got it in time... Run the test prcedure and let me know the results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello George,

The panel on the picture is not quite the same as my wash-dryer but i assume thats because mine is more modern.

When i hold in buutton one, switch on, and turn to position two - all lights immediately illuminate. If i then press the start button - buttons 1,2 and 5 flash while button 4 (temperature stays lit). A number 8 is displayed in the spin speed panel.

Should this tell me something as i don;t seem to be able to follow the precure as written on this machine.

.According to what you have told me, the fault lies in the motor....

The fault Error 8 is a Defective Tachometric Dynamo (opened or shorted) and/or Wiring.

The
Tachometric Dynamo is at the rear part of the motor... It is not something you should be attempting to repair yourself as it requires dismantling of parts of the motor.

I was hoping that this was not what you were going to find.

At this point, please rate the assistance given by me with your problem today

I can assist you further by suggesting engineer contact details if you wish (if you let me know your postcode)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its not a problem, i can get it fixed at work - i just wanted to get to the root cause.

Thanks for the help.

You're very welcome Alan

please rate the assistance given by me with your problem today

regards
George
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair