Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I've got a Zanussi 6165 washing machine thats tripping the

I've got a Zanussi 6165 washing machine thats tripping the RCD on the consumer board. It trips after about 1 minute into the cycle. I've pulled the machine out and there is no sign of a leak. Just about to start removing covers, is there anything I should especially be looking for?
Marc
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ this is abit hit or miss but once you have got the covers off, unplug the motor and then restart the appliance if it doesn't trip the electric but something else does then replug the motor and disconnect the heater and once again making sure the loose wires are out of the way and not touching anything restart and see if what happens ~ then come back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ian. I followed your instructions, disconnecting both the motor and heater in turn. It tripped both times. With the motor disconnected it cycled through for about 2 mins then tripped. I plugged it back in the disconnected the heater ( part way into a cycle) and it tripped immediately.

Marc

OK start from the beginning of the cycle, ie no water in the appliance, disconnect the heater fully, ie to include the earth wire, restart and then tell me what you get. Make sure the motor is connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Still tripped after 1 minute. Heater was completely disconnected, including earth and thermostat (?) and motor was plugged in

OK lets put them aside for the moment, can you look at the mains filter for me, this is the part where the power cable comes in on the left hand back, it then plugs into a circular (sometimes square) filter assembly two further wires lead out towards the front, can you just check that there is no burnt wires or damage to the filter capsule?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it looks fine, like new

OK if you follow the cable forward can you see where the mains supply plugs into the facia panel? If so unplug it there and then see if it still trips the electric.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It tripped after 2 minutes

Did you disconnect the mains power from the circuit board? Before you restarted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the mains supply comes into the filter, I followed the output wire from the filter and unplugged it where it goes into the control board

OK well if it is blowing the trip with nothing connected then the problem is either with the wall socket, the plug and cable or the filter, nothing else is connected. If the appliance has got a moulded plug I would cut that off and replace with a wired one and then try it again ~ its quite common for these to fail within the moulding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your help. The problem is with the supple lead / plug. Probably, I was assuming the fault would be more complex than it actually is.

Regards Marc

No worries Marc, would you now kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below, this allows me to shut the job down on the system whilst once done gives you access to further questions on a free of charge basis. Take care and thanks for using JA ~ Ian
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.