George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Zanussi fridge freezer ZRB224 This leaks not constantly,

Zanussi fridge freezer ZRB224
This leaks not constantly, but regularly, from the freezer compartment. When I open the door I often a little ice formed at the bottom. I have already tried completely defrosting but it made no difference. As it is in a holiday home, it has been operating at low temperatures at times but this problem occurs both winter and summer.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you tell me the PNC or Product Code for the appliance please... It will be on a label somewhere by the Model number

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PNC is 925 041 075

Thank you for getting that...

If you remove the drawers from the freezer and look at the interion back panel, you should see that is has screws and clips and comes apart as in the image below:

graphic

You need to remove this panelling to gain access to the evaporator area...

The evaporator has a tray below it as you can see in the image below

graphic

In the center of that tray is a hole... That hole will be blocked with either ice, or with debris.. Clear the hole and re-assemble.

Please rate the assistance given by me & feel free to ask for further advice on your problem and I'll help if I can.

Please be careful when removing the panels as ice behind them may cause them to break if forced..

Use a hair dryer to warm the area from about 12" away if necessary.

Please rate the assistance given by me so far & feel free to ask for further advice on your problem and I'll help if I can.

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies if you have got this message twice. I thought I had sent it but it doesn't appear in chain.
Anyway ... All screws removed and stripped back to fan motor. Mount for fan motor appears to be part of the panel at the top. At top panel seems loose and ready to move forward. Lower half seems to be firmly fixed in place but no further visible fixings. Am trying hairdryer.
Bit stuck
That indicates that the evaporator is frozen-up... It will come in time.. DON'T FORCE IT

Use the hair dryer a little closer if necessary but be carful not to dis-figure or melt the plastics

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you managed it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George. Broken for lunch here!
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The flow of water seems to have stopped but it still seems to be firmly held in place. In the narrow gap between lower half of panel and body of fridge, on each side, there seems to be 2 plastic spigots across the narrow gap. One just above the lower screw hole on each side and the other maybe six inches higher, again on both sides. There doesn't seem to be any movement in them.
Yes, they show on the image... but now well enough for me to see what type they are...

They may need prising..

Maybe you could post a close enough image of them onto here using the paperclip on the menu-bar above so that I could possibly advise you on them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get a picture and there doesn't seem to be any give in them.
I have just looked at the original diagram and it look that they are the clips attaching the panel to the air channel behind

Look at the yellow areas I have marked... It looks like the clips would have to come outwards from the panel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now got the panel off with brute force! Tray seems to be frozen in place so trying hairdryer at moment. Should the tray lift out? There seems to be a flimsy silver bit sticking out but don't want to pull in case it tears.
Can you see the hole in the center of the silver tray under the heater?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes ice now out and we can see one hole surrounded by little ones. No sign of anything else blocking the holes.

The ice was blocking it...

Use the heater, or some hot water from the kettle... just a little, on the hole to ensure there is no more ice in there...

Make sure that there is no ice left on the evaporator... Then put the appliance back together.

The appliance should now work.. Remove the ice from under the food drawers

Explanation: When the appliance goes into a defrost cycle, if the defrost causes a lot of water; when the defrost cycle switches off, freezer starts to work again. If there is still ice melting from the evaporator, dripping into the water collector/drain when the freezer starts to work again, it causes those drips that have collected in the water collector and the drain to freeze, blocking the way out for the water. The next time you have a defrost, the water can not escape as the channel is frozen-up.. so it flows over the edge and collects under the bottom drawer of the freezer.

I'm glad you managed to get it done.. Have a look at the clips on that pane to see how they attach to the air channel before you put it back together

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you George. All reassembled and seems to be working (checked fan spinning). Many thanks for sticking with us! Alyn and Annette
You're very welcome, I am very glad to be of assistance.

regards
George