Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Why cannot I get one of the electric ignition electrodes to

Why cannot I get one of the electric ignition electrodes to stop sparking? I have not used this particular burner
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Can you post the model number please.Also is it just the one burner that's not sparking? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ZGG62414SA

It is just one burner that IS sparking

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ok not sure what you have done to try and fix this but I will start at the beginning. Remove the burner caps to the fault burner and there you will see the spark lead. Wipe this and make sure its totally dry and also give the burner a clean as well.Refit the burner and make sure its sitting close to the spark lead as it has to be close for it to spark against the burner. Then retry it and see how it goes from there. But of this doesn't cure it then its either a faulty spark lead or the switch or the burner.To check this you need to remove the hob top completey and there you will see the spark leads going to the spark box. Check the lead is fully attached in there. If so then swap it over for another one that's working and refit the hob and see if this works on the one that was faulty. If so then its the lead at fault. But if the lead isn't the issue the switch on the control unit which you turn will be the fault and will need to be replaced. So try the above and see what you find as it will be something to do with the above. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your suggestions. It is a new unit and everything is clean and dry

On closer inspection I have observed that all four electrodes are sparking continuously, but only the one is obvious to the casual glance.

It is too late tonight for me to try anything else.

The hob is new and is part of a built-in unit. i do not know how to remove the hob top.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ok if all 4 are sparking then the switch is fine and the fault is the position of the burner or the lead next to the burner so have a mess with it trying to move it closer to the burner. If that wont work then the lead is the issue. As its new then it should be under warren with Zanussi so give them a bell and get them to replace it. But if you want to fix it yourself then you need to remove the hob top to access it.Remove all the burners and control knobs.Then around each burners are a few small screws, Remove all them and then you can lift the top off and then you can access the spark leads from there. Regards
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.